Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why nobody talks about Amex EveryDay Credit Card

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Why nobody talks about Amex EveryDay Credit Card

This card is good to have as back-up for MR points, since Plat/Gold/Green cards have AF. One may do upgrade/downgrade game between ED/EDP, in case of receiving good bonus. The return is smaller vs BCE/BCP.

The ED/EDP are in my lists in this year and I am waiting for a good SUB to apply for one of them.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 11 of 58
wasCB14
Super Contributor

1.2x+ on everything was good...in the days before CFU and DC. Now it's pretty mediocre. CFU and DC require annual fee cards to transfer miles though (apart from DC to JetBlue at an inferior rate IIRC).

If someone is going to use a card frequently and really likes MRs, then there might be more value in an EDP. But even there, you're paying $95 for a card with no credits vs. paying $155 more for Gold with a higher supermarket cap and $240 in credits.

Notably, I say this with a BofA 2.625% card, a BBP, and a Business Platinum. So I'm not lacking in off-category cards.

I got 40k MRs to upgrade my SDed ED to and EDP a year ago. I'll be downgrading again soon.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The ED and EDP are just in a weird spot in the MR earning cards lineup. They both need a rework but has been ignored by AMEX in favor of their charge card counterparts. I think if one was invested completely in earning MRs it's worth it for off-category spending especially EDP at 1.5x if you can make the thirty purchases in that statement period but there is a better alternative in the BBP card with 2x on everything and comes with a generous $50k cap. I know some will probably say "but I don't have a business" but I'll say is AMEX is very flexible on this

Message 13 of 58
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

The ED and EDP are just in a weird spot in the MR earning cards lineup. They both need a rework but has been ignored by AMEX in favor of their charge card counterparts. I think if one was invested completely in earning MRs it's worth it for off-category spending especially EDP at 1.5x if you can make the thirty purchases in that statement period but there is a better alternative in the BBP card with 2x on everything and comes with a generous $50k cap. I know some will probably say "but I don't have a business" but I'll say is AMEX is very flexible on this

x1000

BBP is also a card mentioned when someone with a large collection of UR wants to get out of the ecosystem but isn't ready to use them up.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 14 of 58
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

BBP is also a card mentioned when someone with a large collection of UR wants to get out of the ecosystem but isn't ready to use them up.

Or even better if they have MR!

Message 15 of 58
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

😆

The first rule of .......

Message 16 of 58
juanxincai
Established Member

Got 40k MR upgrade offer twice over the past two years. The first was for 2k spend in 3 months and the second one was for 2k spend in 6 months.

I used my ED/EDP only for the upgrade offers and nothing else. I can also keep my MR points if I decide to close my Gold and Platinum cards

Message 17 of 58
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

This card is good to have as back-up for MR points, since Plat/Gold/Green cards have AF. One may do upgrade/downgrade game between ED/EDP, in case of receiving good bonus. The return is smaller vs BCE/BCP.

The ED/EDP are in my lists in this year and I am waiting for a good SUB to apply for one of them.

I have one American Express credit card slot free or none to apply for since I have Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant & Hilton Honors and an authorized user on my spouse Delta Gold Card. 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months from the date of account opening Amex EveryDay Credit Card is tempting to get if I do get an upgarde offer for Hilton Honors Surpass or Aspire.

Message 18 of 58
redpat
Senior Contributor

Refresh of Gold hurt the ED cards.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 58
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

@xenon3030 

@wasCB14 

@juanxincai 

Question for you guys and any others who may want to chime in:

I have 9K BCE and 20.5K EDP.  If I were to decide to downgrade from EDP to ED, what is a smart way to go about to ensure that I avoid CLD/AA/closure due to SD'ing ED and low use?  Is it recommended that I transfer some of the CL into BCE, which will absorb all the spending I have been putting into EDP?

I really want to avoid CLD/AA/Closure.  Already been hit with closure with Chase and Barclays, and CLD with Capital1, as well as "forced" PC with Discover.

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.