Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many cards?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Why so many cards?

I think I read somewhere that people with 8 or more credit are more likely to file bankruptcy...

Otoh, all comes back to responsibility.... If you keep util low... And pay yo billzz, you will be aight.

;-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 31 of 69
Commandolam
New Contributor

It's not about the cards.  It's about the game - the game between you and the lenders.

And that's all it is.

Age: 20 | AAoA: 1.1 Years | TU Fico: 725 | EX Fico: 719 | EQ Fico: 693
Last App: 12/09/2013
Message 32 of 69
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Blurbz wrote:

I don't mean to be rude or to sound terribly uninformed, but I can't figure out why so many people on this board have so many cards.  I know some "collect" them: different  banks, different features, a nice mix of rewards, etc. And I guess I get that--at least the rewards.

For rebuilding/building credit, though, isn't one or two enough if you use them responsibly, pif, and make sure you're at < 10% when the statements cut?  I'm just confused when I see peoples' signatures and they have a ton of store cards with $300 credit limits and sub-600 credit.  Is that only good because it helps keep your util rates down?

What are the fico-score benefits to having so many cards?  

Yes, you are absolutely right.  There's really no reason for someone beginning their credit adventure to have a bunch of cards.  From what I've read, the optimum number is 3-4 cards.

That said, I'm one of those with a bunch of cards.  I currently have 16 cards.  Each has a specific purpose.  AND I'm convinced that having the cards I have, and with the age of accounts that I have, were a major contributor to reaching the 800 club.  Could I have done it without credit cards?  Probably.  But also probably not as rapidly. 

Having credit is one thing.  Using it responsibly is quite another.  This is where some people get in trouble.  It's a matter of management of the accounts.

Message 33 of 69
HiLine
Blogger

@thom02099 wrote:

@Blurbz wrote:

I don't mean to be rude or to sound terribly uninformed, but I can't figure out why so many people on this board have so many cards.  I know some "collect" them: different  banks, different features, a nice mix of rewards, etc. And I guess I get that--at least the rewards.

For rebuilding/building credit, though, isn't one or two enough if you use them responsibly, pif, and make sure you're at < 10% when the statements cut?  I'm just confused when I see peoples' signatures and they have a ton of store cards with $300 credit limits and sub-600 credit.  Is that only good because it helps keep your util rates down?

I'm convinced that having the cards I have, and with the age of accounts that I have, were a major contributor to reaching the 800 club.  Could I have done it without credit cards?  Probably.  But also probably not as rapidly. 

Do you know a specific reason why having more cards would help your credit score?

Message 34 of 69
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

It's bc the more positive tradelines you have, the stronger your credit profile...
+1@command! That's right!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 35 of 69
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@Blurbz wrote:

you should check my link. i currently have 17 cards.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 36 of 69
HiLine
Blogger

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
It's bc the more positive tradelines you have, the stronger your credit profile...

And why is that, from a FICO scoring perspective?

Message 37 of 69
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Comes down to an ability to handle and manage credit responsibly.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 38 of 69
HiLine
Blogger

Message 39 of 69
HiLine
Blogger

I mean, how does that directly translate to a higher Fico score? Which variable in the scoring formula does the higher number of credit cards help?
Message 40 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.