Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would American Express get rid of purchase protection for Gold card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would American Express get rid of purchase protection for Gold card

After hearing amex will only have purchase protection for the higher annual fee cards starting February 2020.
Seriously one big reason I got was for this Benifit. 250$ isn't enough for pp.
Well I'll have to see what they do by May and I'll maybe not cancel.
I have world, and world elite MasterCard that have this, but amex will not get as many swipes on high prices items, also road side assistance. I understand they do this from time to time but they are pushing application for platinum card etc...
I've never used it but like to have options if needed. Fail for Amex imo.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Why would American Express get rid of purchase protection for Gold card

@Anonymous wrote:
After hearing amex will only have purchase protection for the higher annual fee cards starting February 2020.
I have world, and world elite MasterCard that have this, but amex will not get as many swipes on high prices items, also road side assistance. I understand they do this from time to time but they are pushing application for platinum card etc...

Source? What I've read suggests they're not eliminating it on Gold, but rather shortening the period covered from 120 days to 90.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 12
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Source? What I've read suggests they're not eliminating it on Gold, but rather shortening the period covered from 120 days to 90.

My records also say they are shortening it and not eliminating it. Most likely it is due to the competition completely eliminating the benefit. As a result it is actually more cost effective to shorten the protection period to make the card look better while reducing the time for liabilities to get dumped on the backer.

dtk6802 you might want to double check those MasterCard's. Most of the time purchase protection/price protection is a benefit that the issuer passed through from MasterCard. Since MasterCard has slashed it completely a lot of issuers have also done massive yanking of benefits regardless of the pass through or if they no longer find it worth while doing themselves.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR... I asked her hopeful she's wrong
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked when got wmc. I'm sure that at least has purchase protection.. but I appreciate the heads up
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I checked when got wmc. I'm sure that at least has purchase protection.. but I appreciate the heads up

You'll need to call the issuer and find out if they're continuing the benefits. MasterCard is eliminating them on their end period. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess that's why one has renters insurance. JK..
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fwiw. This is on both Citi cards. Is this not purchase protection? This is under Benifits I will continue to have.

Shop with more confidence — You are covered if
Your purchase is damaged or stolen.
If an item is purchased with Your Citi® Card and is damaged or
stolen within 90 days of purchase or delivery of the item, whichever
is first, We may repair it or reimburse You up to the amount paid
with Your Citi Card. You are covered for up to $10,000 per Incident,
up to $50,000 per year, per Citi Card account.
To be eligible for coverage, You must pay for the item at least in
part with Your Citi Card. We will only reimburse the lesser of the
actual amount paid for with Your Citi Card or the maximum
coverage per Incident.
How Long are
You Covered?
Within 90 days of purchase or delivery of
the item, whichever is first.
Maximum Coverage
per Incident
Coverage is limited to the lesser
of the following:
■ $10,000
■ The amount charged to the Citi Card.
Maximum Coverage
per Calendar Year
per Account
$50,000
Message 8 of 12
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

They got rid of it because few people ever use it. I have 20+ cards and have never used it..  

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

???

If few people were using it then it would cost them less and therefore they wold be inclined to keep it. They got rid of it because it was costing them too much money because too many people were using it. Having it only on the higher annual fee cards means the cost of the annual fee offsets the cost of running the program.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.