cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would a CC lower your credit limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why would a CC lower your credit limit?

@Elcid89 wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I've heard that about Barclay...I'm more concerned with the other two.  But I figure the 6 month mark isnt until January, and at point I won't be as worried about util.  Does that make sense as far as those two checking accounts before then?

Read previous comment, and try to chill out. You're going to give yourself a stroke.

As long as your utilization doesn't shoot up and STAY up, they could care less. They WANT you to use the cards. If you don't, they make no money. As long as you are utilizing and paying as you described above, I would be surprised if your limits don't increase. They'd certainly stand little chance of decreasing.

+1  Most of the time that I've heard of limit decreases over the past couple years has been to people who have carried balances for a long time that nearly maxed their cards and then slowly paid them down, so called "balance chasing".  For awhile, during the worst of the recession, lenders were cutting limits much more frequently, but this isn't really the case anymore.

Message 11 of 19
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice guys...and I will calm down.  Its just with the unpredictablility of everything, I always want to prepare for the worst.

Message 12 of 19
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Thanks again...

I'd never heard the team 'balance chasing'...so basicly that means you max your card out, pay essentially the minimum, and the CC's view that as a red flag (not worried about this one, just curious!)

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it's when the lender keeps cutting someone's limit to right above their balance as they slowly pay off their maxed out card.

Message 14 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

It's pretty much when you max it out and leave it close to that for months, that puts up red flags to the creditor so every time you make a payment to it they adjust your CL to your balance so you can not further charge up the card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 19
Elcid89
Contributor

Look at it from a lender's point of view. If you have these open lines that have had low utilization forever, and suddenly they all shoot up, and you start making minimum or close to minimum payments, that tells a lender: This guy is in trouble, and it might be a good idea to limit my exposure to him. Ergo they lower the limit on your account with them.

If you have open lines that get utilized and paid regularly in large chunks, that tells a lender: "this guy spends a lot of money, and I can see that my competitor has offered him better terms that I did, so if I want his business, I need to get off my backside and make it worth his while, either by lowering his rate, giving him more credit or both.

You fall into that second category from what you have told us about your use habits, so IMO anyway, you have zero to worry about. You're the sort of customer that they fight over, not the sort they fight to get rid of.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 16 of 19
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Thanks... That makes sense so I'm less worried now. I was just over-reacting to recent inquiries and a large purchase... But I always pay off or pay large each month.
Message 17 of 19
Elcid89
Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:
Thanks... That makes sense so I'm less worried now. I was just over-reacting to recent inquiries and a large purchase... But I always pay off or pay large each month.

If you REALLY want to have some fun with them, pay off a card, and then let it collect dust for a bit while you use a competing card from a different lender. They'll fall over themselves asking what they can do to get your business. When they do, you tell them what you want. Make demands, and they usually give in. Remember, they are making money off of you, so it is up to THEM to please YOU, not the other way around. You can always take your business elsewhere.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 18 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol... Don't feel bad... I worry myself to death about this too... Although I keep util low and make big pmts.

However... Neiman's, after Cap One took over, cut me from $750 to $505. Very crapital one like considering that was already my lowest limit. I never missed any payments or had ANY delinquencies.. So I just closed it. I'd say if you ever do experience balance chasing ( I never have), you should just threaten to close the account in question. Sometimes you really have to put up a fight with creditors, esp if you're creditworthy!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.