Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife's card closed help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife's card closed help?

We went to use my wife's Victoria's secret card yesterday and it said not completed 3 times. So they called and was informed the account was closed to to inactivity? She just used it a month and a half ago and there was no balance on the card with 100% on time payments. I then call to see what the problem is they tell me that the credit bureau let them know that something was up with her credit. When we asked what he said that we would have to wait for the letter about it and that he didn't know. I asked if the account could be reopened since we were in good standing he said NO he didn't have the ability to....a few min later he changes his mind and says if something is wrong with the letter or reason why then he could open it.?.?.?.?!!!!! WHAT!!!! You just told me you couldn't then change your mind. But they didn't reopen it is there anything to do?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Wife's card closed help?

mmmm, sorry to hear that. Has you wife opened up any Comenity acts in the last 3 months? Or has she obtained any cards at all recently? Has anything changed on her reports?

I would pull your reports from the CRA themselves and see if something popped up like a collection or something, making your scores drop.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing should have changed no new accounts. And when I asked what the reason was he said he didn't know or have any way of finding out which I know is a lie bc he is the bank. Lol i was just baffled by the whole thing. I told him I bet if we owed a bunch on the card they wouldn't have closed it bc they want their money he stated they would have still which I don't believe?
Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nothing should have changed no new accounts. And when I asked what the reason was he said he didn't know or have any way of finding out which I know is a lie bc he is the bank. Lol i was just baffled by the whole thing. I told him I bet if we owed a bunch on the card they wouldn't have closed it bc they want their money he stated they would have still which I don't believe?

Well then Im baffled. If nothing new has popped up on her reports, and you wont know unless you pull them, no score change, no new accts, no new late payments on any other accts, nothing like that?? Then, I guess wait for the letter, see what it says, and go from there. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I know I was just extremely pissed that they didn't let us know and we went to use it, then call them and they don't care and try and act like they don't know why that's crazy.
Message 5 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSRs often have very limited information and are not the ones making decisions to close a consumer's account.  The underwriting department (or more likely, a computer that is making automated underwriting decisions) would be the ones who likely closed the account.  Lenders close accounts with existing balances all the time; you would be just as liable for repayment on a closed account with a balance as an opened one.

I would pull your 3 credit reports from http://annualcreditreport.com and looks for any negative information that does not belong to you while waiting for their letter.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know of any bank that will disclose the reason for adverse action (closing an account) over the telephone.  Regulation B that implements the provisions of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act requires notice of adverse action to be given in writing within 30 days of the action occurring.

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 7 of 10
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

This is not unusual behavior for Comenity Bank!!!!!!

Message 8 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
But they didn't reopen it is there anything to do?

Yes. Stop shopping at Victoria's Secret. And call the local store manager and tell him that you're no longer a customer because your credit card was closed.

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know of any bank that will disclose the reason for adverse action (closing an account) over the telephone.  Regulation B that implements the provisions of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act requires notice of adverse action to be given in writing within 30 days of the action occurring.

@Anonymous wrote:

This!   There is really no upside for a bank to empower a CSR to do this.    Even the letter is going to be somewhat generic.   The decisions have been made (usually some perception of increased risk, in some cases suspicion of undesirable behavior) and even if they turn out to be based on incorrect data, too bad.  Much cheaper and easier for the bank to wrongly shut down a customer than to incorrectly leave a real risky one open.

So usually the CSRs don't know (and cannot tell you even if they did) and the security (or whatever) department are not contactable by the consumer and you get a generic explanation.

Having an issuer close is obviously annoying, but is also the flip side of allowing consumers to easily open and close a credit card (compare to say a mortgage agreement.)

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.