Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife wants CSR but is it worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wife wants CSR but is it worth it?

I would not be so sure, Amex may be killing the gift card workaround on those airline incident fees, per FT.

To OP, if you just fly NYC to CVG, it's mostly non stop, importance of lounge is much reduced.
Message 21 of 32
Green456
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

Well if it’s lounge access and perks get Amex Plat and citi Exec AA.

Exec AA you can add up to 10 AUs so share the cost w/ others plus priority access for checking bags and security at most airports.  Plat gets you delta, centurion and escape lounges plus Marriott and Hilton Gold status.  You can net the

cost to be lower than CSR $150.

The card is 550 per month. It doesn’t give me travel credit like.m Chase does. 

Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Exec AA you can add up to 10 AUs so share the cost w/ others plus priority access for checking bags and security at most airports.  Plat gets you delta, centurion and escape lounges plus Marriott and Hilton Gold status.  You can net the

That is true. However, plat does provide some other credits (monthly use-it-or-lose-it uber, airline fee), they are not as easy to use as CSR's travel credit, but it's there and many people are able to take advantage of it.

ps, that airline fee credit, in the past, could be airline gift card purchase, but United killed its gift card registry, amex-aa killed AA gift card reimbursement credit, and now DL and SW's gift card may also be in jeopardy. So the valuation of amex plat is now in transition.

Message 23 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

That is true. However, plat does provide some other credits (monthly use-it-or-lose-it uber, airline fee), they are not as easy to use as CSR's travel credit, but it's there and many people are able to take advantage of it.

ps, that airline fee credit, in the past, could be airline gift card purchase, but United killed its gift card registry, amex-aa killed AA gift card reimbursement credit, and now DL and SW's gift card may also be in jeopardy. So the valuation of amex plat is now in transition.

$550 per year, of course. Also there's the Saks credit and for some, Schwab.

Amex may be willing to lose a few low-spending Platinum customers who are focused on the AF and pinching pennies. I'm not saying that's bad behavior, but with upcoming Centurion lounges in LAX and JFK, Amex may figure it can bring in enough moderate-high spenders in those markets that it can tighten up the restrictions on the credits. While there's one at LGA, it's pre-TSA and a lot of people prefer JFK.

CentSFO is small, but the crowding there can be quite bad at times.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like ever since Cent LAX was announced, ads for Platinum in southern CA became a lot more common.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 32
redpat
Senior Contributor

Well AA closed their lounge at my home airport but they do have an escape lounge which I will be going to tomorrow on my way out of town.  We have a third night free, breakfast and a $100 property credit at a Waldorf only $216 per night, thanks to Amex FHR.

You have to like to travel a lot and be willing to spend some bucks on travel.  

If your travel spend is economy, this card may not be for you.

No flash, just perks.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

So now I have been to the club at ATL twice 1-2pm. Here are my impressions.

1. 70-90 at capacity, by that, I meant 70-90% seats are occupied.
2. Coffee and food (varies wraps basically) is plenty
3. Not the tidiest place.

I guess it's really depends on your expectations. If you expect a quiet place with below 50% occupancy, a fancy buffet and high class maintenance around the clock, this is surely not up to the standard.

I would consider 5-10 bucks saved each visit, lol.
Message 26 of 32
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So now I have been to the club at ATL twice 1-2pm. Here are my impressions.

1. 70-90 at capacity, by that, I meant 70-90% seats are occupied.
2. Coffee and food (varies wraps basically) is plenty
3. Not the tidiest place.

I guess it's really depends on your expectations. If you expect a quiet place with below 50% occupancy, a fancy buffet and high class maintenance around the clock, this is surely not up to the standard.

I would consider 5-10 bucks saved each visit, lol.

You've had slightly better than average luck. The SkyClubs usually hold around 70-90% capacity, and you can typically find a seat as a solo traveler that isn't bumping elbows, but couples may struggle to find a quiet table. Non-SkyClub lounges (Centurion/PP), I've either had to walk out of or didn't even try going in due to capacity. The Centurion in LAS has had lines out the door waiting for seats, and I've hit more than one PP in the last 12 months where there was nowhere to sit so I ended up leaving.

I agree there's usually something to eat and drink, though expect it to be as little as some chex mix, crackers, or some broccoli at peak times. It's also impressive how long some guests will also wait in line for a glass of the complimentary bum wine.

Several locations are now starting to post restrictions or time limits on entry for peak times of day. Think evening hours in airports with transoceanic flights - these are now often either putting time limits on when you can enter or outright refusing people who don't have a business/first ticket due to capacity controls.

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never stay in line for a lounge, lol. And I do usually travel solo, I can see if you have a companion, only seat available will be hard plastic around a tall table, not as comfortable.

I don't think there will be a solution to overcrowding at either PP or centurion lounges. With the rate lenders handing out the card with these benefits, above two thirds capacity would be the norm.

I can't speak of sky club, admiral's club etc. I can't see myself go out of the way to get those cards with massive AF and lackluster earning rate.
Message 28 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would never stay in line for a lounge, lol. And I do usually travel solo, I can see if you have a companion, only seat available will be hard plastic around a tall table, not as comfortable.

I don't think there will be a solution to overcrowding at either PP or centurion lounges. With the rate lenders handing out the card with these benefits, above two thirds capacity would be the norm.

I can't speak of sky club, admiral's club etc. I can't see myself go out of the way to get those cards with massive AF and lackluster earning rate.

A lot more cards give access to PP than Centurion/SkyClub/Admirals. If a PP lounge isn't full in the middle of the day, it's often inconveniently located or unappealing.

A card doesn't need to get a lot of spend to be valuable. I have a cousin with the Delta Reserve who, because she lives in Hawaii, can get excellent value from the First companion certificate before taking the lounge access into account. Of course, she is an unusual case.

Some people also like AA Exec and Delta Reserve for the EQMs/MQMs. I'm not that loyal to any one airline so just stick with CSR.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think delta reserve can def be worth it. I only fly delta and SW so even with two airlines I think it can be worth it.
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.