Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifes CC limit...

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Wifes CC limit...

My wife recently got a Citi Diamond Preferred card and signed up with me as an authorized user. My understanding is that they do not take my credit history into account since I am simply an authorized user. Is there any way to get a higher limit by taking my scores into account, which are lower than mine?

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: Wifes CC limit...

Only if you had applied as a joint credit card I believe
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 11
madmann26
Valued Contributor

you would have to apply as a joint owner on the account.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 11
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Can I be added as a joint owner if I wasn't? Or maybe I already am. Her scores are in the low 600s. Not sure how picky they are about this card.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 4 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

I don't know if it's true but it may require a new application to do that
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@colindidit wrote:

+1

Message 6 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@colindidit wrote:

+1

Correct it would mean applying as a new app

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@KeithW wrote:

My wife recently got a Citi Diamond Preferred card and signed up with me as an authorized user. My understanding is that they do not take my credit history into account since I am simply an authorized user. Is there any way to get a higher limit by taking my scores into account, which are lower than mine?

99% sure Citi is one of the banks that got burned SO many times on Joint account tricks that they no longer offer joint accounts for the regular citi cards... Some of the furniture store or such cards "may" still offer joint options but not the Citi Diamond in this case.  Also in the past even when Joint, it did not help with CLI and such.

Message 8 of 11
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@KeithW wrote:

99% sure Citi is one of the banks that got burned SO many times on Joint account tricks that they no longer offer joint accounts for the regular citi cards... Some of the furniture store or such cards "may" still offer joint options but not the Citi Diamond in this case.  Also in the past even when Joint, it did not help with CLI and such.

What is the Joint Account Tricks?

Message 9 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

In the past with many banks you could get a credit card with someone with good credit.... add a joint account holder (no pull was done) then wait about 3 months and request to remove a joint account holder... they would send a form and request to remove the user that originally opened the account and for many years and many banks they would remove a joint user again without pulling credit... so basically someone that wouldn't have even qualified for a $500 limit or may have been blacklisted from a bank was able to walk away with an account with maybe $10k+ credit line!

Chase started pulling credit of both users when an account was requested to unjoint but for much time you could still add a joint user with no pull but now they have stopped adding joint.

Citi stopped it all together... they had the largest loop hole that I knew... you could add and remove with no pulls of the added or during removal.

Nordstrom use to allow it... not sure anymore.

Discover currently allows adding joint but not sure about removing.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.