cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will AMEX lower BCP CL if spend decreases significantly?

tag
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Will AMEX lower BCP CL if spend decreases significantly?

Hi All,

I have a BCP card that is about 9 months old and I run 1500 - 2200 through it each month.  I am looking into getting a PNC Cash Rewards card (offers benefits since I bank with them) for restaurants and gas, and I am looking at a second card for general spend since BCP is only 1%.  If I reduce what I am spending to about 850 per month, is there a good chance AMEX will lower my 22,500 CL?  I would only use it for groceries and transit after getting the other cards.  The other cards I am looking at Citi DC or Citizens Cash Back Plus are not known for their high limits.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will AMEX lower BCP CL if spend decreases significantly?

It will be fine.  I only use my card for about $200/mo and still have a combined CL of 55K between 2 cards.  (BCP/CM)

Message 2 of 10
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I see you also have the CM, which I was thinking of as an alternative to the DC or Citizens, just because I have had good luck with Amex, but the CM is only 1.5%

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing really special about the CM unless you're over 5/24 and need a 1.5% card because you don't want to deal with DC/PPMC or anyone else.  It's a SP and you can shuffle limits w/ other cards online easily.

Message 4 of 10
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nothing really special about the CM unless you're over 5/24 and need a 1.5% card because you don't want to deal with DC/PPMC or anyone else.  It's a SP and you can shuffle limits w/ other cards online easily.

Ya, the only reason I considered it is I like Amex app, notifications, and customer service.  Not interested in the PPMC for multiple reasons, and thinking about DC, although Citi does some strange things like only sending notifications 6 days a week (hear this from 2 customer service reps).

Message 5 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You should be fine. I have never spent anywhere close to my limit on Amex cards I have/had over the years and nothing has ever happened CLD wise. Not to say it's impsosible, as sustained low usage could cause a CLD with any issuer. That said, it kind of barely matters if you're not using it for much spend anyway.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an aside, even if Amex were to CLD your account, all it takes is a quick phone call to have it reinstated the vast majority if not all the time.

Message 7 of 10
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Thanks, good to know
Message 8 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

You will be fine, 90% of the purchases I use BCP for is grocery and gas, gas is less than $100 a month,  I work from home, not much driving really.  Groceries are like $600 a month. My BCP CL is still at 32,500. They even gave me the CLI with about the same level of spend. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 10
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Thanks @jamesdwi.  When I get a general purpose card, I am guessing the limit I will get will not be as high as my Amex BCP based on what I have read.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.