cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex ever change airline incidental fee credit to just an airline fee credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Amex ever change airline incidental fee credit to just an airline fee credit?

To stiffen up competition with Chase and since many are aready doing the gift card work around what are your thoughts on American Express ever just changing their airline incidental fee credit to just an airline free credit and allow ticket purchases with it?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Amex ever change airline incidental fee credit to just an airline fee credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

To stiffen up competition with Chase and since many are aready doing the gift card work around what are your thoughts on American Express ever just changing their airline incidental fee credit to just an airline free credit and allow ticket purchases with it?

Not likely and there are already existing methods of buying gift cards that you can use for several airlines to buy tickets as you mention.  I think they are happy with the status quo.

Message 2 of 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Will Amex ever change airline incidental fee credit to just an airline fee credit?

American Express revamped the gold card in order to be more competitive with chase. If Amex was going to change how the credit worked, it would have been during that recent revamp. The platinum was also refreshed not that long ago.

They expect breakage in using the credits and don’t really see much reason to change it.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no inside information but if there were a related change my guess would be that it would be to more strictly enforce the current terms and conditions.

Message 4 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
American Express revamped the gold card in order to be more competitive with chase. If Amex was going to change how the credit worked, it would have been during that recent revamp. The platinum was also refreshed not that long ago.

They expect breakage in using the credits and don’t really see much reason to change it.

Breakage is the key.  Amex has structured the credit so there will be lots of breakage, whereas Chase and Citi have structured their credits so there is almost no breakage.  Don’t expect Amex to change.  They’re the one making money on this feature.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

I also think it unlikely AMEX will change this. There are many cards it applies to, Gold, Platinum, and Aspire are ones I am aware of. Requires changing the T&C for those and other cards.

The airline fee credit is also one of several credits on those cards. So if they change Airline fee they have to drop things like Uber monthly credit, $10 monthly dining credit, $250 Hilton Resort Credit. Each of those credits likely has partner contracts to help absorb the costs.

The SPG Lux card is an example of skipping the airline fee credit to go for a simpler Marriott $300 credit, a larger share of the AF with almost no restrictions.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

While I agree with the others that is it is unlikely to change, I don't think the forum record on "What to expect from Amex" is particular stellar.   AFAIK, no-one here predicted anything like the changes on the PRG/Gold.  Or even the 5x airfare on the Plat.   Let me know if that's doing someone a disservice!

Message 7 of 17
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no inside information but if there were a related change my guess would be that it would be to more strictly enforce the current terms and conditions.

I agree. I can see them working to keep us from actually purchasing gift cards in some fashion.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My major spending is ~8k on airfare. I do love the design of Amex card, but neither gold, nor platinum make any financial sense to my situation. That "credit" being "accidental fee" is a major part of it.

I do imagine different people may find it useful, its just not fit my situation.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's exactly my point I don't think it will hurt their P&L since everyone savy enough to get the card is savy enough to read any credit card website and learn about how to use it on gift cards and there are people out there that might chose a different company since when they read the product description they can't see the value for the card under the stated description. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.