cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex ever revamp the Green Card?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Will Amex ever revamp the Green Card?

Keep in mind that the content of the loan portfolio is not static. It's not like their customers are making interest-only payments like on a long-term bond.

They are constantly having customers pay back existing loans and taking new ones out. People close their cards (either paid or in default) and new customers come in. Those defaults are measured relative to the size of the loan portfolio, but compared to the total transaction volume (on which they earn an average 2.44% discount rate) they are a bit smaller.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 41 of 45
Scupra
Super Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Probably off topic, but I find it interesting that people "notice" what others are using to pay. I've never cared or been curious to know what others have in their wallet. But I have gotten compliments on some of my cards from the cashier at places. I never really know what to say other than "thank you".......

I never look at what others use.. Seems more like snooping.

I mean, most of us have spent hours on myFICO or boards alike.. Seeing a credit card in the "wild" that you often see pictures of when on the forums, just tends to stand out in my mind. I wouldn't say it's "snooping" though. When I started researching my next auto purchase it almost seemed like I started seeing that car everywhere on the roads. Highly doubt that there was suddenly more of that specific vehicle on the road, it's more likely that the topic is fresh in my mind.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 42 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Probably off topic, but I find it interesting that people "notice" what others are using to pay. I've never cared or been curious to know what others have in their wallet. But I have gotten compliments on some of my cards from the cashier at places. I never really know what to say other than "thank you".......

Call me Snoopy!! I love knowing what kind of cards others have... When I see someone using a debit card, I always think that they don't know what they're missing out on...

The people using cash, debit cards, or paying interest on credit cards or annual fees are subsidizing our hobby.  It is basically a wealth transfer from them to us.  So I am happy for people to keep up with such behavior.  

Message 43 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Sorry, I should have used increase rather than growth in my statements above.  Now I'm totally confused on the numbers and what they mean, but I do have to stand by my statement that if that were referring to a percentage of cardholders in a quarter and that continued for 7 years, exactly half of all Amex cards would be a charge off.  I'm still assuming the 1.8% was net charge offs and not percent of accounts?

From investopedia: 

A net charge off (NCO) is the dollar amount representing the difference between gross charge-offs and any subsequent recoveries of delinquent debt. Net charge offs refer to debt owed to a company that is unlikely to be recovered by that company. This "bad debt" often written off and classified as gross charge-offs. If, at a later date, some money is recovered on the debt, the amount is subtracted from the gross charge-offs to compute the net charge-off value.

Anybody capable of translating since we all seem to be inferring this differently?

K, it is definitely net of succesfull collections; bad debt only. In this case, write off or charge off literally means that they've told the government that the money is a loss and entirely unrecoverable to offset income for tax purposes. I'll try to explain in a slightly different way, and I agree that it is quite confusing. I had to check my work a couple of times, and I work with statements like this (on a much smaller scale) on a daily basis. I didn't see the link to the WSJ article until this moment, but it leads with net charge-off rate, which would be as compared to outstanding balances, not all purchases.

I'm confident that the referenced percentage is 1.8% (note: my work shows 1.9%) of the statement balances showing on June 30th, whether past due or just posted. This is a very small percentage of Centurion Bank purchases over the time period (trailing six months.) All numbers are a percentage of dollars that customers owe to AMEX in that exact moment, and don't refer to the percentage of accounts written off nor do they represent a percentage of total card purchases.

So, brief synopsis.

Charge/write-off rate (net) - Percentage of uncollectable balances out of all outstanding balances. A snapshot metric, only valid the day of reporting.

AMEX can't collect 1.8% (or 1.9%) of all outstanding balances as reported June 30th (roughly 2.3 billion uncollectable as compared to 130 billion owed) and a vanishingly small percentage of all purchases that went through Centurion Bank cards over the time period of 1/1-6/30 (2.3 billion as compared to at least 330 trillion.) So, out of the 330 trillion in payments that AMEX forwarded to merchants, they received 330 trillion less 2.3 billion before any paid interest or fees.

Hopefully that makes more sense! If it doesn't, drop me a PM. I'll markup a copy of the financial statement and send it your way.

Message 44 of 45
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Call me Snoopy!! I love knowing what kind of cards others have... When I see someone using a debit card, I always think that they don't know what they're missing out on...

The people using cash, debit cards, or paying interest on credit cards or annual fees are subsidizing our hobby.  It is basically a wealth transfer from them to us.  So I am happy for people to keep up with such behavior.  

That's how I view Green and Gold customers.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.