cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex get annoyed if I only spend on Kiva?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Amex get annoyed if I only spend on Kiva?

So I got a new SPG from Amex with a 5000 dollar spend in 6 months for 20000 points. That's not a problem for me but I get better rewards through Chase Trifecta. So I am just planning to spend 5000 on Kiva (I know that the return is not guaranteed but I am fine with losing money on that because I considered it to be a charity). 

I hear stories about Amex doing FR and closing accounts on people. So I just wanted to know if Amex would be fine with that?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will Amex get annoyed if I only spend on Kiva?

Can you actually use a credit card at kiva?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 8
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

There are no returns at all on Kiva. All of the interest returns are kept by the Kiva foundation so you have to view it as a pure charity as you'll never see any returns...

http://na3.salesforce.com/_ui/selfservice/pkb/PublicKnowledgeSolution/d?orgId=00D500000006svl&lang=1...

@webhopper wrote:
Can you actually use a credit card at kiva?

You can because Kiva just uses PayPal

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yah, I just meant return of money, not like interest or something. But I am just concerned how Amex will view it since it's all 5000 dollars going to Kiva. 

Message 4 of 8
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

Amex will only see it as a $5000 PayPal transaction. I'm sure that will raise some red flags due to the increased fraud risk of a site like PayPal, but how they perceive that risk is something I can't answer.

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 5 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Typically large transaction amount from PayPal does raise a red flag/annoy AMEX. Since Kiva uses PayPal I'd say keep the transaction amount small. I wouldn't risk charging $5,000 from PayPal into your AMEX account.

Message 6 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I got a new SPG from Amex with a 5000 dollar spend in 6 months for 20000 points. That's not a problem for me but I get better rewards through Chase Trifecta. So I am just planning to spend 5000 on Kiva (I know that the return is not guaranteed but I am fine with losing money on that because I considered it to be a charity). 

I hear stories about Amex doing FR and closing accounts on people. So I just wanted to know if Amex would be fine with that?

Making a huge initial purchase like that w/Amex can be risky. The advice I got when I got my first Amex was to break it in like a new pair of shoes. And you have to "train" Amex how you use the card. If you're going to make a large purchase like that, you might want to call and talk w/CS first. That might prevent any fraud alerts that might arise. Kiva is a charity, so I doubt they'd have a problem with it. But I would definitely talk w/them before making doing that.

If you get better rewards w/Chase, I'm wondering why you bothered to get the SPG at all.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solely for backdating. I needed an Amex and I had to waste a hard pull, so why not get some sign-up points while at it. I am going to PC to a no annual fee amex card after. I actually really wanted a Green charge card but paying 95 dollars a year for a max of 2X on travel awards is ridiculous. If I was running Amex, I would make the Zync have no annual fee, Green 25 bucks/year, PRG 75 bucks/year, and the Platinum 350/year. The basic Gold card is just dumb -- it's the same as the Green Card. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.