Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Capital One Forgive me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Capital One Forgive me?

Here is the horrible irresponsible thing in did.

When I was 18 I got a capital one card. I carried high balances and paid my minimum faithfully for 7 years! My car broke down and I got a rental car that I kept for 2 months plus racking up a 3k bill that charged to my capital one card.

They paid it. My limit was 500.

Long story short years ago I was garnished and paid every cent back. This is no longer on my credit report.
I applied for a secured card and did not get instant approval a few days later I was emailed to complete my application. They asked for proof of address and ID.

Will Capital One say I Do again even though I burned them hard in the past.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Will Capital One Forgive me?

Yes. cap one easily forgives... Capone is a bit forgetful of the past and has a short term memory =)

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Music to my ears!😍💳
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Cap1 6 years ago for a few hundred dollars and settled with them in 2014 or 2015. They gave me a QS1 with a $300 limit which has grown to $3500 and PC'd me to a regular QS in March. I'm looking forward to another CLI late summer or early fall. I almost always PIF except to let it show a small balance once in a blue moon to show activity. Have never missed a payment on it. You will likely start small but it will grow over time if you show responsibility. 

Message 4 of 21
trant3
Established Contributor

They will forgive and forget my friend

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 5 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, not sure any company truely forgets, but forgives sure. Cap One seems to , as Joltdude puts, suffer from short term memory lossSmiley Happy ....or is that long term? Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 21
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I had an Amex Skymiles card get sold to a collection agency about 8 years ago.  Now I have a BCE and I get offers in the mail for the Skymiles card and PRG.  Anything is possible.

Message 7 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

With Cap-1 its typically 1 year from the CO before you can app again. I see no problem here.
Message 8 of 21
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

CapOne doesn't remember what happened yesterday.....

If the account has been closed, sold off, settled in bankruptcy, or otherwise done and over with, then you are good to go.  It might take them a bit of time to let you have their best product, but as long as your report is good for the card you apply for, then you are set.  

That being said, you should have simply applied for the QS card and see if there was a counter offer or checked their prequal site.  If you can get a Signature card with them, but didn't prequal first and simply applied for the secured card with them, then they probably will be happy to take the AF and money from you.

You might have checked other secured cards out with lower fees and APR, especially those that don't pull all three bureaus!  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 21
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Oh wait, I think this answers the question best....

How bad is Capital One's ADD?  Here take a card, have a card, take a card, who are you, yeah take a card, what, when, just take a card....

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.