cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Capital One approve new card after closing prior?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Capital One approve new card after closing prior?

I had a C1 card that was closed by grantor about 8 months ago due to a couple bounced payments due to a bank account I closed. 

Since then — I've been making monthly payments to pay off the balance and just got pre-approved for a new PLATINUM card. 

My question is — what are the chances I'll actually be approved for this card given I still have a balance with the original? I want to avoid unnecessary inquiries if I can, so should I wait until the balance is paid off to reapply?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One approve new card after closing prior?

Believe it is a year.. Least if you burnt Cap1 it is a year so possibly same if closed by credit grantor?  Others might be more educated with regards to Cap 1 and them closing card policy

Message 2 of 6
RootDet
Established Contributor

CapOne is 12 months before they would consider approval.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK got it _ is that 12 months from closure or payoff date?

It looks like the account was closed in July/August 2019 so it has been about a year.

Could that be why it pre-approved me, because that time has lapsed?

& regardless of the time, do you think I'd get approved if I still have a balance on the old/closed card?

Message 4 of 6
RootDet
Established Contributor

Yes and possibly.  I personally would not apply if you still owe them on the closed card

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Capital One approve new card after closing prior?

So I was in a similar situation early last year with Cap1; I had an acct to close with a balance due. I paid off that balance in March of '19 and was approved for another card in. July of '19. Now the card was a crappy SL, but beggars can't be choosy and since then, my profile has grown exponentially. My advice is, if you're getting a pre approval from them, you'll likely be approved and bucketed. Count up the personal costs and go from there!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.