Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will HSBC Nuke My Credit Card?

tag
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

Will HSBC Nuke My Credit Card?

I was not pleased when HSBC / Orchard Bank CLD'd my already low crappy limit with their weak-minded rational of it "being a business decision" even though I know they are doing this to everybody.  I contemplated just closing the account, but I know they wouldn't give a rat's a$$ if people close their accounts or not.

So, I thought of just cancelling my HSBC CreditKeeper monitoring service.  I don't really need it anyhow and the only reason I haven't cancelled it earlier is because I'm just too lazy to call them and listen to them whine and moan when I tell them goodbye.

But now I am motivated and when they ask why, I'll just tell them "it's a business decision." 

I wonder if they'll just cancel my credit card after a couple of days just to get even.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will HSBC Nuke My Credit Card?

Nonsense!  Smiley Wink

I cancelled my silly CreditKeeper during the first 30 days.  Yes it takes an aggravating phone call, and I just rec'd a CLI after having my card 6 months.

Message 2 of 8
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

Well, I just called.

The lady was nice and not very pushy.  She offered to lower the monthly fee, but I told her it wasn't the cost that was the issue.  I laid out the "it's just a business decision" spiel and told her when HSBC stops CLDing those with already rock bottom limits, I'll probably be back.  She thought it was funny.  Nice lady.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Underh20 wrote:

Well, I just called.

The lady was nice and not very pushy.  She offered to lower the monthly fee, but I told her it wasn't the cost that was the issue.  I laid out the "it's just a business decision" spiel and told her when HSBC stops CLDing those with already rock bottom limits, I'll probably be back.  She thought it was funny.  Nice lady.

Umm do you really think taking your aggravation out on an hourly employee is something proper to do?

People who make more money a year then she makes in 10 years make those decisions.

Message 4 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

They won't close it from canceling their credit service, but they are quick to close accounts with 3+ months of no activity.
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are quick to close accounts with 3+ months of no activity.

HSBC axed my card after no activity for 6-months back in May, It was pretty much six-months from the day I made the last PIF last November that I received my canx letter,,

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

usmc58555 wrote:

@Underh20 wrote:

Well, I just called.

Umm do you really think taking your aggravation out on an hourly employee is something proper to do?

People who make more money a year then she makes in 10 years make those decisions. 

Huh? Where do you read anything about "taking your aggravation out on an hourly employee"?

I don't know if you've tried to close a CC recently, but a lot of CSR's will try to argue you out of doing so (probably at the instruction of the suits making all the money.) I see nothing wrong with saying that their current card policies don't work for you (him, me, the caller, whomever) and that if the policies change, one might re-establish a business relationship with them.

After closing a Barclay's card, my TrueCredit service, and two Experian monitoring services (long story, they multiplied like bunnies), I found that it took twenty minutes to pull myself together to make this sort of call. "No, really, thanks, I appreciate it, but I no longer need it. No, nothing in particular, other than finding that the card isn't eligible for a customer-requested CLI / you won't let me pull all three daily any more / your reports don't really update in real time / they're redundant. Yes, I think you guys are lovely. No, I'm afraid you're not lovely enough to make me want to stay with them. But you have a nice day, now. Yes, thank you, I plan to have a nice day, too." Whew.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Underh20 wrote:

Well, I just called.

You must be confused.

It was very pleasant conversation.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.