Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I ever be prime again....

tag
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Will I ever be prime again....

After 9 years of prime I burned Citi, Chase, AMEX-NPSL, BOA with a few others when I filed BK in April. I'm rebuilding and gardening till April 2013...when I will be 1 yr post BK. While my wallet is mostly full of crap at the moment, i'm still grateful to be rebuilding. My problem is , will I ever be prime again?

I know Citi, Chase and Amex don't forgive. Anyone with experience that says otherwise?

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Will I ever be prime again....

@shols44 wrote:

After 9 years of prime I burned Citi, Chase, AMEX-NPSL, BOA with a few others when I filed BK in April. I'm rebuilding and gardening till April 2013...when I will be 1 yr post BK. While my wallet is mostly full of crap at the moment, i'm still grateful to be rebuilding. My problem is , will I ever be prime again?

I know Citi, Chase and Amex don't forgive. Anyone with experience that says otherwise?

Chase is usually good about goodwill to let you back in once you get your finances straight, and Amex can be fine as well if you pay them back every penny that you owed. BOA will hate you for the rest of your life, and I'm not sure about Citi. Not like you'll be missing much from BOA their best cards are like mid class Amex at best, and personally I would stay away from any bank that calls the swat team on their customers.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 24
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Distantarray, there are tons of posts here that swear about Chase and Amex blacklisting you forever. Apparently, AMEX can forgive if I pay what was burned. Plus, any ideas on how to get back in the "good books"? You are right about BOA....I won't miss them much.  But Chase, Citi and Amex....those were really good times.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 24
beb86
Valued Contributor

@shols44 wrote:

Distantarray, there are tons of posts here that swear about Chase and Amex blacklisting you forever. Apparently, AMEX can forgive if I pay what was burned. Plus, any ideas on how to get back in the "good books"? You are right about BOA....I won't miss them much.  But Chase, Citi and Amex....those were really good times.

Amex will forgive you, like Distantarray said, as long as you PAY THEM EVERY PENNY. Chase is kind of hit or miss.

Message 4 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@shols44 wrote:

Amex will forgive you, like Distantarray said, as long as you PAY THEM EVERY PENNY. Chase is kind of hit or miss.

well my friend's mom had 3 charge offs from Chase, we settled before going to court, and I sent them letters to goodwill and they removed the accounts, ymmv.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 24
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@shols44 wrote:

...and then there are those of us who have "slipped through" and were approved by AMEX 9 years after IIB to the tune of $4500.  I also burned Chase (indirectly; it was another bank they acquired) and I was recently approved for a Freedom at $6000 CL.  Current AMEX CL is $9500 across two cards plus a NPSL Zync.  Also $7500 PayPal Mastercard and $2500 BB&T Visa.  The oldest of these accounts is my BB&T Visa, which was given a $2500 CL at their lowest APR (11.15%) back in 2010 when my Chapter 7 was about 5 years old.  I had a number of other cards between the Chapter 7 and BB&T, but none of them were what I would consider "prime."

BB&T isn't the first bank that comes to mind when I think "prime" but they stuck their neck out for me, and it paved the way for the prime cards I have today.

So... YES.  Eventually, prime is VERY possible.  Just take care of the finances for the next few years.

Message 6 of 24
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

sorry you had to go through BK. I wouldn't worry about prime lenders right now. You need to focus on getting house in order. Prime/non-prime will tend to itself with time. If you BK was due to your own actions then focus on correcting that. If it was based on bad luck, ie health problems or job loss, buckle down and you will get through it.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 24
beb86
Valued Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

@shols44 wrote:

...and then there are those of us who have "slipped through" and were approved by AMEX 9 years after IIB to the tune of $4500.  I also burned Chase (indirectly; it was another bank they acquired) and I was recently approved for a Freedom at $6000 CL.  Current AMEX CL is $9500 across two cards plus a NPSL Zync.  Also $7500 PayPal Mastercard and $2500 BB&T Visa.  The oldest of these accounts is my BB&T Visa, which was given a $2500 CL at their lowest APR (11.15%) back in 2010 when my Chapter 7 was about 5 years old.  I had a number of other cards between the Chapter 7 and BB&T, but none of them were what I would consider "prime."

BB&T isn't the first bank that comes to mind when I think "prime" but they stuck their neck out for me, and it paved the way for the prime cards I have today.

So... YES.  Eventually, prime is VERY possible.  Just take care of the finances for the next few years.

There is always a chance that the will figure it out and close your accounts...

Message 8 of 24
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

@shols44 wrote:

Figure what out?  You make it sound like I have gamed the system somehow.  They pulled my reports, they checked their internal records, they crunched whatever numbers it is that they crunch, and they decided to approve me.  Their decision, not mine.  They've already "figured it out."

Message 9 of 24
beb86
Valued Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

@shols44 wrote:

Figure what out?  You make it sound like I have gamed the system somehow.  They pulled my reports, they checked their internal records, they crunched whatever numbers it is that they crunch, and they decided to approve me.  Their decision, not mine.  They've already "figured it out."

That was not my intent I apoligize if it sounded that way. There have just been posters here that have had AMEX close there accounts after the realized that there was a previous CO that is all. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.