cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will closing cards make CLIs more likely for other cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will closing cards make CLIs more likely for other cards?

Will closing credit cards that I don't use (reducing my overall credit available) make CLI requests more likely to be approved on the cards that I do use?

I have four cards that I use (and that I have any intention of using). The combined limits of these four card is $33,800. I wouldn't mind seeing the credit limits on these cards increase, although I'm not in a hurry.

I have two other cards that I am unlikely to ever use again. They are both relatively new, both have reported to the CRAs, and both have zero balance. The combined limits on these two cards is $11,800.

I pay everything off each month, for the most part before the statement closes. So utilization isn't a concern.

My thinking is that when I apply for a CLI in the future, if my total credit available is less, then my ability to pay for the increase I am requesting will be greater. If that's true (and since I don't need the benefit to utilization right now), it doesn't make sense to have any available credit wrapped up in cards I'll never use. Am I thinking about the right?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Will closing cards make CLIs more likely for other cards?

Including the cards you are thinking of closing, you have 54.6K in total credit.  By anyone's measure, that is not an overly large amount of available credit unless your income is like 12K.

I don't think closing those two cards will help you get CLI's on your other cards.

That said, if you don't want to manage those two cards or have no more use for them, just close them.  Just don't expect it to help with CLI's on the other cards.

The best way to get CLI's is to put as much as you can on a card, and pay in full or all but $5 before the statement cuts to show the lender you will will use the higher credit limits.

The very best strategy is to attack one card at a time for CLI's.  For six months, put everything you can on that one card and just run $2 a month or so through the other cards.  Get your CLI on that card.  Then SD that card and move on to card number 2 for six months.  Use the hell out of it, pay before the due date, and ask for a CLI at six months.  Just keep rotating the cards and doing this.

Lenders look at recent activity to determine your need for CLI's.  If you can only put say 2K or 3K a month through a card based on regular spending, focus that spend on one card at a time, while keeping the other cards alive with a token charge each month.

Based on what I have read here, lenders don't start to decline for too much available credit until you are at least at one year's annual income, and many don't care until you are 2 times or even 3 times.  This varies by lender with some more concerned than others

Message 2 of 16
jeffery581
Established Contributor

NO imo

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Based on what I have read here, lenders don't start to decline for too much available credit until you are at least at one year's annual income, and many don't care until you are 2 times or even 3 times.  This varies by lender with some more concerned than others

Thanks so much, CH! That all makes a lot of sense. And based on what you wrote that I quoted, I'm fine.

I have already been unintentionally doing what you suggested. My first and major priority is my Amazon card. It has just an $800 limit. In December, I had to pay it down twice before Christmas because I was bumping into the limit. And most months I've been using much of that limit (and then paying down to less than $50 before the statement closes). So I think I've adequately shown them I'll use it.

I'm about a month away from 6 months with the card, so my plan was to wait until then and then apply for the CLI.

What strategy should I use. Should I click the button first (expecting that I'm going to take what they give me and then ask for more another way)? Should I use chat? Or should I just start with Credit Solutions?

I'd like a $20,000 limit, and based on what you said, my income (and I think my scores) support that. Is that reasonable/wise to ask for? I'd be happy with $10,000, actually, and that would more than cover what I could ever imagine putting on the card in a single month.

Message 4 of 16
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Thanks so much, CH! That all makes a lot of sense. And based on what you wrote that I quoted, I'm fine.

I have already been unintentionally doing what you suggested. My first and major priority is my Amazon card. It has just an $800 limit. In December, I had to pay it down twice before Christmas because I was bumping into the limit. And most months I've been using much of that limit (and then paying down to less than $50 before the statement closes). So I think I've adequately shown them I'll use it.

I'm about a month away from 6 months with the card, so my plan was to wait until then and then apply for the CLI.

What strategy should I use. Should I click the button first (expecting that I'm going to take what they give me and then ask for more another way)? Should I use chat? Or should I just start with Credit Solutions?

I'd like a $20,000 limit, and based on what you said, my income (and I think my scores) support that. Is that reasonable/wise to ask for? I'd be happy with $10,000, actually, and that would more than cover what I could ever imagine putting on the card in a single month.

With the Amazon store card from synchrony, you can call as soon as you receive the card and ask them for 5K and they may give it or give 3K or say no.

With synch, you can get CLI's every 4 months, so after every fourth statement cuts.

Always, always, always, always, always call the backdoor number (credit solutions).  It's a soft pull and they give out higher limits and say yes when the luv button says no and chat says no.

With the synch cards (Amazon, Lowes, Walmart) you don't really have to show much use to get those big CLI's.  For them it's what they are willing to give you issuance, on immediate recon, and then a phone call every four months.  You don't have to impress them with massive usage.

You could probably put through $200 a month on Amazon card and still get the maximum CLI's.   It would be reasonable to go from 1K to 3K to 5K to 10K, and more if you want over time, every four months.  This is also true for Lowes & Walmart.  

Over 24 months it's easy to get Lowes up to 17K to 35K based on your income.

Most Amazon cards I've seen are topped around 10K, but I'm sure some do better.

For some reason they are more stingy on Walmart.  So people get $150, then $800, then $1500, then $2800, then $3600, then $5k.

People love Lowes to pad utilization.

If you get a CareCredit account, be aware that a request for a CLI will always be an HP.  The others are soft pulls.

My Lowes is at 10K, and I am cool with that since my limits now equal my annual income.  But a good strategy would be to get a Lowes card up to 35K and then over time replace that 35K with a NASA FCU or Penfed FCU card of the same limit, then cut Lowes to 10K or even 5K.  This is my plan.

My Walmart started at $400.  They were slow to give me CLI's for the first year.   Just paltry amounts.  When my scores (TU) hit 680 I asked for and got 5K.  I could have likely gotten more, but I did not want anymore.

If somebody had 75K of annual income and 150K of total credit limits, then I would start prioritizing my cards and getting rid of any Comenity or other crappy store cards, and lowering credit limits on things like Lowes with 35K, so that I could get the 10K to 30K limits on good cards.

Also keep in mind that one lender, probably a credit union, will tell you that you are being declined for pyramiiding debt, which means too much new available credit, but don't for a minute believe that applies to all lenders,  If you were to react to one lender's comments on this, you would needlessly close cards.  They may be saying they are just not that into you.  You close half your cards and they come back with another reason to decline you.  Just keep that mind.

My personal thinking is I want to keep 10 or credit cards.  This way when I open a new card, my AAofA would only drop by one year if AAofA was 10 years when I opened one new card.  So I'm at 9 years instead of 10.  No big deal.  Had I had five cards and opened one new card, my AAofA would drop by 20% instead of 10%.

But for me, 10-12 cards is max.  I can manage that, but no more.  But that's my personal choice and others want 40 cards and some want three.  It is a personal decision.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to write such a throrough reply, CH! I really appreciate it. I'll probably give Credit Solutions a call then, take what they'll give me, and get the countdown started for the next request. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 16
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to write such a throrough reply, CH! I really appreciate it. I'll probably give Credit Solutions a call then, take what they'll give me, and get the countdown started for the next request. Thanks again!

If they decline you for a CLI, call back every month till you get one.  You might be a lot of No's, but it's just a 10 minute call.  The four months applies between them actually giving you a credit limit increase until they will give you another credit limit increase.

Keep in mind that these soft pull policies have been going on for a long time, but they could at the lender's discretion switch to HP's.  For this reason keep your credit monitoring active.  Better yet, FREEZE your credit reports and they simply can't place an HP on your account.  It's not physically possible.  But if you are a client of theirs, they can pull soft pulls.

A downside to frozen reports is that some services like credit check total won't work with them in place.  Credit Karma works fine with frozen reports, as does myFICO's monitoring.  All the Experiance products won't work, so CreditSesame or Credit.com, but these are frankly useless services anyway.

But frozen reports will prevent a brand new creditor from being able to access your reports and do an HP, so if you want to apply for new credit you will have to lift the freeze and it will cost you another $10.  For this reason, it's best to plan app sprees every six months or so, then lift your three freezes for a week or so, do all your apps, and then freeze them again.

NEVER walk into a car dealership with your credit reports unfrozen.  If you want more info on this just ask me why and what to do.

Message 7 of 16
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Very detailed info CH!  Just adding to that, I thought Synchrony increases were available every 3 months? They were slow to give me luv in the beginning. I started to feel that they didn't like me.  Things changed after my TU score went above 660. Info for my Walmart account is -

Opened - 8/24/12 - $600. - 11/24/12 - $700. (BD - no - 5/14/13) (BD - no - 9/29/13) (Jan ’14 - Luv Button - no) (5/2/14 - Luv Button - no) (July 6th - no) 11/28/14 - $1400. (Auto) - 3/04/15 - $2200. (Luv button) - 3/16/15 - $3000. (Chat) - 7/27/15 - $6000. (Chat) - 10/28/15 - $10,000 (BD) - 1/28/16 - $13,000 (chat then message to call Credit Solutions) Try again April 28th

BD = Back door

You'll notice a bunch of "no" comments when I tried to get an increase in 2013 to the end of '14. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 16
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Very detailed info CH!  Just adding to that, I thought Synchrony increases were available every 3 months? They were slow to give me luv in the beginning. I started to feel that they didn't like me.  Things changed after my TU score went above 660. Info for my Walmart account is -

Opened - 8/24/12 - $600. - 11/24/12 - $700. (BD - no - 5/14/13) (BD - no - 9/29/13) (Jan ’14 - Luv Button - no) (5/2/14 - Luv Button - no) (July 6th - no) 11/28/14 - $1400. (Auto) - 3/04/15 - $2200. (Luv button) - 3/16/15 - $3000. (Chat) - 7/27/15 - $6000. (Chat) - 10/28/15 - $10,000 (BD) - 1/28/16 - $13,000 (chat then message to call Credit Solutions) Try again April 28th

BD = Back door

You'll notice a bunch of "no" comments when I tried to get an increase in 2013 to the end of '14. 

You may well be right.  I didn't actually time my CLI's.  Just went by memory.  With my BK, I thought they would never like me.  But I kept trying and after a year or 18 months or so they started to loosen up a lot.

Message 9 of 16
Valued Contributor

I did burn them for 1K on Amazon.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.