cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will credit card companies issue new cards after 7 year charge off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will credit card companies issue new cards after 7 year charge off?

I have a question for the experts.  I'm helping my mom. She got into problems many years ago and declared bankruptcy.  She had several charge offs with American Express and Bank of America and Chase and a Citibank card.   All of them charged off and they are dropping from her record next year.

Her credit score is already getting back on the mend in the 700s as she has been doing well for almost 6 years now.  My question is...... will any of these same banks give her another shot?  I know they will drop off her credit report next year but I assume these banks have their own internal system which show they charged off. Anyone know any situation where the banks will re-issue new accounts after a charge off?

Much thanks for answers.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will credit card companies issue new cards after 7 year charge off?

Amex - no

The other banks have had varying reports on their policy.

Message 2 of 7
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex - no

The other banks have had varying reports on their policy.

Who do they think they are? Macys?
EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding AMEX:

She may be able to become a member of their Oasis program that will entail her payting her old debt and them issuing her a new account. AMEX pretty much black lists people.

Other banks have terms and policies that are hit or miss on that.

Just because a debt has fallen off a credit report does not mean it no longer exists or that a company has forgotten you owe them money. In many cases companies are reluctant to relend to a person who walked on their past obligations to them.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses.  I figured that AMEX wouldn't but didn't know about the others. Thanks.
Message 5 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

AMEX - No

Citi - Yes

Chase - ?

Were these accounts included in a BK? You may not be able to participate in the Oasis program if the amount was IIB.

Message 6 of 7
soccrstar
New Contributor

Bank of America <<--- Not until you pay them in Full.

EQ: 632 FICO8 / EX: 622 FICO8 / TU: 648 FICO8 / EQ: 648 FICO9 / EX: 652 FICO9 / TU: 624 FICO9 / Credit Karma: 633 Transunion 622 Equifax / Credit Sesame 633 / Positive Open Loan Tradelines: Auto loan $42000 / NEWEST CARD - Don't Remember / goal by 2019: 650 or more FICO8 across the board
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.