cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will doing soft pull CLIs prior to apping for new card hurt approval chances for new card?

tag
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

Will doing soft pull CLIs prior to apping for new card hurt approval chances for new card?

I am applying for a new card soon and I was wondering if I requested CLIs on my current accounts that I know would definitively be a soft pull prior to apping for new card, would that hurt my chances of being approved for the new card? Like would the soft pulls show in any way when a hard pull was performed for the new card application where it looks like I am trying to get a lot of new credit at once?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Re: Will doing soft pull CLIs prior to apping for new card hurt approval chances for new card?

The answer is no. A soft pull will not show under "Inquiries" on your credit report and your other creditors won't see them so it will not hurt your approval chances. However just be certain prior to initating a CLI request because a recent hard pull will temporarily ding your score and if your overall credit profile isn't well established it can certainly hinder your approval chances.

Uncle Money

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 2 of 5
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Re: Will doing soft pull CLIs prior to apping for new card hurt approval chances for new card?

@KillingThemGingerly wrote:

I am applying for a new card soon and I was wondering if I requested CLIs on my current accounts that I know would definitively be a soft pull prior to apping for new card, would that hurt my chances of being approved for the new card? Like would the soft pulls show in any way when a hard pull was performed for the new card application where it looks like I am trying to get a lot of new credit at once?

I rhink that's a good question. We certainly don't' want to spook any cc companies. 

Message 3 of 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@KillingThemGingerly wrote:

Only real unique circumstance where I can see it being an issue is not the SPs since they can't see them but if you're requesting CLIs on card(s) where you already have accounts with the bank. Theoretically, if you have substantial credit with banks you're looking to apply for additional credit cards, the total limits may reach thresholds where they will decline apps because you reached the max credit they are willing to give you. From there you can probably shift lines around and other things to make it work. Again, not common issue but can be one. Of course if you're applying to a new bank all that is a moot point

Message 4 of 5
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

@Uncle_Money wrote:

The answer is no. A soft pull will not show under "Inquiries" on your credit report and your other creditors won't see them so it will not hurt your approval chances. However just be certain prior to initating a CLI request because a recent hard pull will temporarily ding your score and if your overall credit profile isn't well established it can certainly hinder your approval chances.

Uncle Money

Yes, I pretty much know what companies do HPs vs SPs for CLIs but I have my credit frozen with all 3 bureaus on the off chance they try to do a hard pull. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.