Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will i get a better cli this way?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will i get a better cli this way?

Ive read a few places that supposedly, if you use the card more in the month your ljmits will be bigger increases and sometimes more often.
Is this true? Use a lot, pay off as you go except maybe 7 or 8% to have there when the statement cuts, then PIF at the statement?
Is this true?
Specifically with NFCU, capital one and discover?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: Will i get a better cli this way?

That certainly would show the CCC that you are responsible at handling your credit, but does not necessarily mean they will give you a different or a higher one because of it.
I would suspect that more is figured in to it, your debt to income ratio etc.
I have not noticed any difference in increases over the years whether I have PIF or let a balance ride. YMMV

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I pretty much ignore others' anecdotal evidence about CLIs (that said, my limits are adequate so I don't care much about CLs in general). There are too many unknowns to try to find order.

Two big ones:
Income: People are far more likely to share their CLs than income (or net worth).
SL: People with a great history and great income often get a great SL. When someone reports a huge CLI, he or she may not share any reasons why the SL was comparatively low.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With Navy, usage doesnt matter, it does in that you want to use it , but your profile , income, and dti matter more.some people dont worry abour cli because they already get sufficient starting limit due to their high income and profile. For others , depending on the lenders ie Cap One, higher usage can often times beget higher cli when asked for. Some lenders there is no right or wrong like Discover who are over the place in handing out cli. My advice is just use your cards responsibly, pay on time and should you choose to request cli, study up on each lender to know what they look for. Cli is not the devil but sometimes you might be led to believe it is. Every person is different, every profile and needs are different. Just adjust your requests for your needs and not everyone elsesSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ive read a few places that supposedly, if you use the card more in the month your ljmits will be bigger increases and sometimes more often.
Is this true? Use a lot, pay off as you go except maybe 7 or 8% to have there when the statement cuts, then PIF at the statement?
Is this true?
Specifically with NFCU, capital one and discover?

Using the card a lot, paying as deemed necessary, and always paying statement balances in full is a great formula for Capital One. You don't necessarily have to leave a positive balance on the statement.

Discover has no preference that we've been able to pin down. Flip a coin, roll some dice, read some tea leaves, or check your horoscope.

I think time is your most valuable asset with NFCU, but I'm not the most qualified to comment on them. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU values DTI, overall utilization, and time to get to know you. When I asked for my CLI on my cashRewards when I hit 91/3 last month, I had a small balance on the card and it went from $3K to $7.5K (what I requested). I had demonstrated my ability to make large payments though, always paying my statement balance and paying down my balance to no more than 10% before statements cut. 

Cap definitely values lots of spend and statements paid in full. My QS was the first card I got after my bankruptcy, a $500 credit steps Platinum in 2014. It is now an $8250 QS which is pretty much unheard of for a bucketed starter card but I literally just had one card for about a year and then added the PlayStation (also Capital One) to my wallet so Cap got very familiar with my ability to spend and pay, including carrying a large balance (relative to my income) and paying it off quickly which is probably why they gave me an additional $2000 when I asked for my CLI in March before I got all of these other great cards. 

Discover... nobody knows. I doubt they even know. 

Message 6 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

IME, I’ve gotten nice size CLIs from Disco and AmX that I correlate with large spends and humongous payments if not PIF.

Now with NFCU, I do believe it’s related to DTI ratio because I put less than 2% monthly spend on that card and have still received monster CLIs when I asked for one.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

Haha, yeah, I've called Discover and asked them a few times about the cli secret and they won't tell me. They also state that they are not allowed to give advice and refer me to seek out a credit counselor if I felt I needed it, lol. (I don't need counseling, just the "magic cli bullet".)  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

Haha, yeah, I've called Discover and asked them a few times about the cli secret and they won't tell me. They also state that they are not allowed to give advice and refer me to seek out a credit counselor if I felt I needed it, lol. (I don't need counseling, just the "magic cli bullet".)  

I think they do it like PenFed does approvals. Monkeys and a dart board. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

I think they do it like PenFed does approvals. Monkeys and a dart board. Smiley Wink

....oops, delete my comeback (not nice)  Isn't there a thread about Discover and datapoints on here somewhere?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.