cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it hurt my credit score to pay my balances right away?

tag
angela_nov19
New Visitor

Will it hurt my credit score to pay my balances right away?

Will it hurt my credit score to pay my balances right away before the due date?

Say my due date to pay is on the 1st of every month. I get charged $60 and pay it off right away and I keep doing this when I use my card.

Because of the credit utilization ratio, will it hurt my score?

What if I stil leave a balance by the due date, just not one that represents all the money that has been charged to my account for that month.

I have a secured card.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
angela_nov19
New Visitor

Re: Will it hurt my credit score to pay my balances right away?

I've already used 30% of my credit limit for month on bills and groceries. But I need to buy two more things, one is actually pretty important and is only found online.

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@angela_nov19 wrote:

I've already used 30% of my credit limit for month on bills and groceries. But I need to buy two more things, one is actually pretty important and is only found online.

You can use the full line if you want just pay it down prior to statement cycle date.

Message 3 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

The most optimal scoring scenario is to allow one card to report 1-9% utilization -- with all others having a 0 balance.

The credit agencies don't know what your account is doing mid-cycle.
Message 4 of 7
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

But it still reports high balance. Which I think is a good thing as it shows you can pay your credit limit and use it responsibly bringing higher CL and CLIs
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 7
angela_nov19
New Visitor

Thanks! Are you guys sure? I really want to raise my score from "fair" to "good".

I was an authorized user on my mom's account which I rarely used, and she had high balances every month which hurt my score.

Message 6 of 7
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:
But it still reports high balance. Which I think is a good thing as it shows you can pay your credit limit and use it responsibly bringing higher CL and CLIs

+1 I truly think my high balance reporting + paying the balance to $0 before statement cut did wonders in my app spree. Now I just pay the statement balance once a month.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.