cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will just "Buying a pack of gum" truly keep a credit card "active"?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will just "Buying a pack of gum" truly keep a credit card "active"?

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Update for the next guy, Plastiq told me they can no longer use Visa to pay mortgages.  Tried Tio and the fee they quoted was 2.85% which is $12.99 extra after 2% cash back on a $1500 payment, a little high but still workable.

So you have to use a non-Visa logo card?  I use my DC which is a MC, no issues there.

Yes you can use any other brand, the PenFed Power Cash is a Visa so no go for me.

I saw something about that a month or so ago, I think it was on Doctpr of Credit. But Plastiq charged my Penfed PCR Visa on 6/26 with no issues. It was Visa that told Plastiq they would no longer allow a Visa card to be charged for a mortgage payment. I think the difference is whether Plastiq sends your payment electronically or by check. My mortgage lender is a smaller one, BMO Harris Bank, and Plastiq always sends the payment by mailing a check. When I used Cap One Quicksilver the charge showed up as "lodging", when they just charge a Visa card for $$$ & mail a check they can play around with the charge category, probably can't do that for a direct electronic payment. And as I said earlier I'm switching payment to Barclays Cashforward MC, to push my rewards over the $50 redemption requirement so I can cash out the rewards and sock drawer the card, 1.5% rewards with such a high redemption level doesn't cut it anymore.

I read a similar article (dated March) this morning before registering with Plastiq, reason why I got on chat with Plastiq immediately to verified.  Since you have had success as late as 6/26, I'm going to play dumb and process the payment anyway, I'm going to designate it as an extra payment towards principle and leave my auto pay in place in case if it doesn't go through.  Thanks for your help, will post back results for data point after my card arrives.  Sorry OP for jacking your thread. 
Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

opened January 2015 - Double Cash $20K (SL $2.6K)- last CLI August 2015

Anusara, question here.  It looks like you took your DC limit from $2600 to $20,000 in 7 months.  My question is did you get 1 or 2 CLIs during this time and were they both HPs, if it was 2, or was one a SP?  I would think you took a HP following activation (and if so it would be cool to know what your limit was bumped to) and then you either took a SP at the 6 month mark or another HP at that time.  Thanks for your info here!

Hey BBS!

@Anonymous are correct. I requested a HP CLI @ activation but it was declined. If I remember correctly, it was declined because Citi was uncomfortable with extending me more credit at the time. I had recently gotten a CLI on my Simplicity card.  I tried again in February (within 30 days so they used the same HP - via EO office) and it was approved. I don't remember the specific amount but I believe it was (at minimum) double the SL. When I submitted my request in August (another HP), I asked for limit I wanted.

Sorry I can't be more specific but this was before I started tracking this information. I was still new to myFICO when I got these cards. Also, I have a fraud alert on my EQ profile so in the beginning my request were done via the EO which sometimes took several days to weeks to complete so I would forget to log the information. Not because I was being a hard ass but because there were some issues on their side understanding the procedure they needed to follow. It was a PITA. 

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be helpful.Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Update for the next guy, Plastiq told me they can no longer use Visa to pay mortgages.  Tried Tio and the fee they quoted was 2.85% which is $12.99 extra after 2% cash back on a $1500 payment, a little high but still workable.

So you have to use a non-Visa logo card?  I use my DC which is a MC, no issues there.

Yes you can use any other brand, the PenFed Power Cash is a Visa so no go for me.

I saw something about that a month or so ago, I think it was on Doctpr of Credit. But Plastiq charged my Penfed PCR Visa on 6/26 with no issues. It was Visa that told Plastiq they would no longer allow a Visa card to be charged for a mortgage payment. I think the difference is whether Plastiq sends your payment electronically or by check. My mortgage lender is a smaller one, BMO Harris Bank, and Plastiq always sends the payment by mailing a check. When I used Cap One Quicksilver the charge showed up as "lodging", when they just charge a Visa card for $$$ & mail a check they can play around with the charge category, probably can't do that for a direct electronic payment. And as I said earlier I'm switching payment to Barclays Cashforward MC, to push my rewards over the $50 redemption requirement so I can cash out the rewards and sock drawer the card, 1.5% rewards with such a high redemption level doesn't cut it anymore.

I read a similar article (dated March) this morning before registering with Plastiq, reason why I got on chat with Plastiq immediately to verified.  Since you have had success as late as 6/26, I'm going to play dumb and process the payment anyway, I'm going to designate it as an extra payment towards principle and leave my auto pay in place in case if it doesn't go through.  Thanks for your help, will post back results for data point after my card arrives.  Sorry OP for jacking your thread. 

If I need to meet a spend requirement, I designate the payment to be applied to the principal balance too. It reduces frivolous spending and makes life simpler for me.

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey BBS!

@Anonymous are correct. I requested a HP CLI @ activation but it was declined. If I remember correctly, it was declined because Citi was uncomfortable with extending me more credit at the time. I had recently gotten a CLI on my Simplicity card.  I tried again in February (within 30 days so they used the same HP - via EO office) and it was approved. I don't remember the specific amount but I believe it was (at minimum) double the SL. When I submitted my request in August (another HP), I asked for limit I wanted.

Sorry I can't be more specific but this was before I started tracking this information. I was still new to myFICO when I got these cards. Also, I have a fraud alert on my EQ profile so in the beginning my request were done via the EO which sometimes took several days to weeks to complete so I would forget to log the information. Not because I was being a hard ass but because there were some issues on their side understanding the procedure they needed to follow. It was a PITA. 

I appreciate the feedback!  So, was $20k the limit you asked for (and got it) or did you ask for something higher and were countered with the $20k?  If you doubled your SL and had say a $5k-$6k limit, that means you brought it up some $14k-$15k through that HP CLI which is definitely well worth it.  Do you recall what your credit scores were at the time?  This is good information, as it's nice to know that at 6-7 months in Citi is willing to give out a fairly strong CLI with the use of a HP.

Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey BBS!

I appreciate the feedback!  So, was $20k the limit you asked for (and got it) or did you ask for something higher and were countered with the $20k?  If you doubled your SL and had say a $5k-$6k limit, that means you brought it up some $14k-$15k through that HP CLI which is definitely well worth it.  Do you recall what your credit scores were at the time?  This is good information, as it's nice to know that at 6-7 months in Citi is willing to give out a fairly strong CLI with the use of a HP.

You're welcome. I asked for $20K. These were my scores on 12/31/14 EQ 748, TU 764, EX 750. I have a few 30 day lates on a PIF auto loan so my reports are not clean. The most recent is from Jan 2013. 

@Anonymous on your profile which is much better than mine was @ the time I believe you have an excellent chance of obtaining the credit limit you seek. At the time of my CLI requests, I don't think I had any high limit ($10K+) credit cards. I think you mentioned in an earlier post that your DC SL is on the low side compared to other cards you own. Do you have other cards from Citi? 

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DC is my first Citi card.  The SL on it was $7300, which many say is pretty good for that card, but compared to my other cards it's on the low end.  I have 5 cards with 5-figure limits (max is a $35k Amex) and 2 cards with slightly less than the DC limit, but they are older SD cards.  I'd like to move the DC limit into the 5-figures that the majority of my cards sit at.  That's cool that Citi gave you the $20k limit that you asked for.  Your scores were all solid though, which I'm sure helped.  How are they with countering if you shoot too high?  I know with some banks like Synchrony you can shoot for the stars knowing that you'll get a solid counter in the event that you shoot way too high.  I'm not sure how Citi feels though if you shoot above where they would have otherwise capped you out at. 

So I'm thinking I'll do the SP CLI 6 months in and see where that takes me and based on the result go ahead and do a HP CLI for the remainder of what I'm looking for.

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The DC is my first Citi card.  The SL on it was $7300, which many say is pretty good for that card, but compared to my other cards it's on the low end.  I have 5 cards with 5-figure limits (max is a $35k Amex) and 2 cards with slightly less than the DC limit, but they are older SD cards.  I'd like to move the DC limit into the 5-figures that the majority of my cards sit at.  That's cool that Citi gave you the $20k limit that you asked for.  Your scores were all solid though, which I'm sure helped.  How are they with countering if you shoot too high?  I know with some banks like Synchrony you can shoot for the stars knowing that you'll get a solid counter in the event that you shoot way too high.  I'm not sure how Citi feels though if you shoot above where they would have otherwise capped you out at. 

So I'm thinking I'll do the SP CLI 6 months in and see where that takes me and based on the result go ahead and do a HP CLI for the remainder of what I'm looking for.

I agree your SL on the DC is very good which is why I don't think you will have any issues getting the limit you want. I think you have a solid strategy.

Don't expect too much from the SP CLI. They tend to be small between $1000-$2000. Some people may have gotten more or less but usually they stay within that range. I don't really know how they are on counteroffers so I can't speak to it, but you should be fine. 

Best of luck to you BBS!Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 39
06GTS197
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand spending .5 percent on a mortgage payment over your rewards cash back.  If you want to get your utilization down then use that .5 percent to pay down your bill. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not talking about getting utilization down, as I always PIF and haven't paid a penny of interest in years.  I use Plastiq to may my mortgage for the simple reason that it nearly doubles my monthly spend on whatever my go-to card is at the moment, meaning it increases my chances significantly for a favorable CLI result.

I think what he's trying to say is why spend the extra .5% to get 2% cash back.  

I do the same thing but I pay a cpl of months ahead to only pay the .5% one on the same amount of money.

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

It truly does. That's how I kept my BoFA card active for so long!
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.