Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Chase Freedom grow with me?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Will my Chase Freedom grow with me?

Regarding auto-cli I would not count on it with Chase. Customer initiated CLI on existing cards are in my exerience also not so easy.  Got my Freedom with a 4K limit and tried to increase it to 5K but denied with double pull Smiley Surprised ...then figured out I would give it a shot for a new card  and applied for the Marriott and expected if accepted at all the minimum CL of 5K but to my big surprise got accepted with 16K ???? ... so 1K from Marriott to Freedom and here I have now my 5K limit that had been denied.  Honestly I do not understand Chase but if that is how to get CLI I will consider apping for new cards with nice sign up bonus and then transfer CL around.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 39
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

I've been doing some reading on the forums, and I've come across topics saying that Chase is very stern when it comes to growing with its customer, or in other words giving CLI's as time passes...

Will my Chase Freedom grow with me? They started me off with a 500CL since it was my first card, but it's already proving a bit low as I find myself making full payments along the month since it's easy to hit the limit. As time passes, will the increase my limit with them, or am I stuck at 500?

Also, one other quick question. I got into the topic about prime cards and subprime cards; is the Chase Freedom considered prime or subprime?

...not without a HP it seems...Smiley Sad.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 22 of 39
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I have Freedom from June 2013, and its still stuck at 500 limit. I pay it in full every month. Asked CHASE for CLI and they said we like you payment pattern and would like to see more history before a CLI .... whatever... Got a card from capital one for $300 starting limit. Little less than a year, with multiple CLIs that card is now at $2000, and all with soft pulls. 

I would say auto CLI from CHASE is almost impossible. I will probably apply for a Sapphire next year and ask CHASE to move this 500 to that card and close it. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 23 of 39
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

I have Freedom from June 2013, and its still stuck at 500 limit. I pay it in full every month. Asked CHASE for CLI and they said we like you payment pattern and would like to see more history before a CLI .... whatever... Got a card from capital one for $300 starting limit. Little less than a year, with multiple CLIs that card is now at $2000, and all with soft pulls. 

I would say auto CLI from CHASE is almost impossible. I will probably apply for a Sapphire next year and ask CHASE to move this 500 to that card and close it. 

Chase likes to see atleast of history from them before giving CLI. Just wait another 6 months and then try again

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 24 of 39
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

My wife has had one auto CLI from Chase and a second CLI offer that she had to accept.  Chase hasn't given me any CLI's but I know I'm bumping against my internal limit with them since I had to reallocate to open my Freedom.  YMMV.

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

Will my Chase Freedom grow with me?

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

As time passes, will the increase my limit with them, or am I stuck at 500?

Also keep in mind that "grow" and "time passing" are two entirely different things.  It's entirely possible for time to pass and for your credit to not grow.  You can't just assume that the passage of time is growth.

Message 25 of 39
Youngcredit23
New Contributor

Sorry it took me so long to respond guys, just started my Nursing school again + I've been looking around for opportunities for the police academy.

Thanks to all the people who helped me out and responded to this forum; Looks like the general advice is that its a YMMV type of thing and everyone has a different experience with Chase.

I'm 4 months into having the Freedom some I'm just going to continue what I'm doing, PIF and keeping the ulitization as low as possible. I'll give it more time, see what happens, and possibly open up two more cards to add to my accounts.

Quick question guys: I paid in full before the statement cut off date so it shows that my amount due for 2/11 is $0. I'm assuming that regardless of me having a balance now that I don't have to pay anything correct, since this balance now is from a different cut off date?

Message 26 of 39
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
If you want CLIs with chase, its best to just request one, which will cost you a hard inquiry, or to apply for another chase product. Auto CLIs are somewhat infrequent and unpredictable for the most part.

The freedom is a great card, for me at least. The design of the card, especially that crazy freedom font, may be on the ghetto side, but for 5X UR, i have no complains.

+1, the quarter of x5 on restaurants is coming up and I can't wait. Best part of Freedom is that its no-AF. Really great card for gas spend as well.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 27 of 39
amakol
Regular Contributor

YMMV. Chase seems to like me so far. $500 auto-CLI at 15 month mark at the end of my 0% APR. Not a ton, but appreciate the gesture.

My GF just got a $1500 auto-CLI to 4.5k last month. They seemed generous over the holidays.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 28 of 39
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

Chase auto CLI's do happen. I was approved 8/2013 with a 500 dollar limit. In December, they doubled me to 1k. 

i know Chase like's heavy usage, and I would push through what I call as moderate. Of the 500 dollar limit, I would use maybe 300 or 350, maybe more per month. Sometimes I made two payments, sometimes not. Since I wasn't applying for any other cards, I just let the statement cut pretty high, 300-350/500. PIF after i get the statement. It will hurt your utilization for the month, but it will show that you are restricted.

I read on a thread here that Chase looks at your high balance on your report for CLI's. So, if three months ago you let it cut at 650/700 limit, in the future, your high balance will always remain on your report. So whenever they do their periodic review, they will see that you may need a little breathing room.

But when it comes down to it, who knows why i got an auto CLI, but I'm not complaining. I did however follow suggestions on here about what Chase likes to see.

In the future, if I want a CLI, I think i will apply for a card, and then transfer the lines over if I am approved. Seems like the way to get what you want and making your HP worth it. Though your AAoA will be slightly affected, it shouldn't hurt too much for those with thicker files (mines is still relatively thin, but i am definitely established).

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 29 of 39
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

@bonehead88 wrote:

YMMV. Chase seems to like me so far. $500 auto-CLI at 15 month mark at the end of my 0% APR. Not a ton, but appreciate the gesture.

My GF just got a $1500 auto-CLI to 4.5k last month. They seemed generous over the holidays.

Maybe they noticed she was shopping more. Plus women are notorious shoppers lol

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.