cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the OG Chase Freedom be discontinued in the future?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Will the OG Chase Freedom be discontinued in the future?

@SecretAzure wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

I have CFU so the extra Cashback on Drug Stores and Dining are already covered.

Based on absolutely nothing, it wouldn't surprise me if the 3x categories on CFF and CFU were made distinct, i.e. CFF would have different 3x then CFU.   That would increase the desire for some to get both.  

Based on absolutely nothing as well, I think they'll keep them the same. They made them have the same perks so that the trifecta(quad/pent/whatever) wouldn't gain too much strength. Each category they add makes CSR/CSP more valuable so I think they're hesitant to add too many extra routes for extra points. 

OK, so we maybe just split, so one card gets 3x drug stores, the other 3x dining, leaving the cards different without impacting CSR/CSP!  (But I think most would find 3x drug store underwhelming)

Lol. Yeah, that actually seems quite likely now that you say it! Drug store probably won't incent most people but there are those people who have one very close to home or just simply have a lot of medical spending that will never go away that would find value in the card which offers it. It's a pretty unique benefit. Amex BCE used to give 2% before 2% cards were common. 

The Amex OBC (no longer available for new users) still gives 5% on specified drug stoes (which includes CVS, Walgreens)

Message 21 of 29
ficosuave
Contributor

Just as an added data point, and because I was curious, I just switched my Freedom Unlimited to the old Freedom. I just asked for the "regular Freedom Visa". The rep was able to process the PC to what they called the "Freedom Ultimate". Card number and other terms stayed the same.

Message 22 of 29
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@ficosuave wrote:

Just as an added data point, and because I was curious, I just switched my Freedom Unlimited to the old Freedom. I just asked for the "regular Freedom Visa". The rep was able to process the PC to what they called the "Freedom Ultimate". Card number and other terms stayed the same.

Lord have mercy. Chase is really bad with names. If they are truly calling the old Chase Freedom card Chase Freedom Ultimate, abbreviated CFU, that really makes things confusing. With the current Chase Freedom Unlimited, CFU for short, this would really muddy the waters. I hope that rep just mispoke. Smiley Frustrated

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 23 of 29
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Freedom Unlimited should come with an unlimited credit line.

Smiley Happy

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 24 of 29
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

I have CFU so the extra Cashback on Drug Stores and Dining are already covered.

Based on absolutely nothing, it wouldn't surprise me if the 3x categories on CFF and CFU were made distinct, i.e. CFF would have different 3x then CFU.   That would increase the desire for some to get both.  

Based on absolutely nothing as well, I think they'll keep them the same. They made them have the same perks so that the trifecta(quad/pent/whatever) wouldn't gain too much strength. Each category they add makes CSR/CSP more valuable so I think they're hesitant to add too many extra routes for extra points. 

OK, so we maybe just split, so one card gets 3x drug stores, the other 3x dining, leaving the cards different without impacting CSR/CSP!  (But I think most would find 3x drug store underwhelming)

Lol. Yeah, that actually seems quite likely now that you say it! Drug store probably won't incent most people but there are those people who have one very close to home or just simply have a lot of medical spending that will never go away that would find value in the card which offers it. It's a pretty unique benefit. Amex BCE used to give 2% before 2% cards were common. 

The Amex OBC (no longer available for new users) still gives 5% on specified drug stoes (which includes CVS, Walgreens)

I have a grandfathered "old" Blue Cash with the 5% on drugstores.  I find this category to be extremely useful due to having a dog with medical conditions requiring multiple expensive prescription drugs.  No insurance available to offset expenses in this type of situation.  OBC plus GoodRx and SingleCare makes things a little more affordable.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 25 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

I have a grandfathered "old" Blue Cash with the 5% on drugstores.  I find this category to be extremely useful due to having a dog with medical conditions requiring multiple expensive prescription drugs.  No insurance available to offset expenses in this type of situation.  OBC plus GoodRx and SingleCare makes things a little more affordable.

With the $6.500 threshold, OBC wins over the 3% CFF/CFU if you spend more than $13K a year on prescriptions.

Message 26 of 29
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

With the $6.500 threshold, OBC wins over the 3% CFF/CFU if you spend more than $13K a year on prescriptions.

Well, I don't spend quite that much on prescriptions ($400-500/month usually), but I also take advantage of the 5% on gas and groceries.  The $50,000 OBC spending cap better fits my spend than the $6,000 grocery cap (plus $95 annual fee) with the newer Blue Cash Preferred.  I've run the numbers many times.  Even throwing the new 3% drug store category from the Chase Freedoms into the mix, OBC still works for my spend.  There's also something to be said for only having to carry a single card to cover gas/grocery/drugstores.

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 27 of 29
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

@ficosuave wrote:

Lord have mercy. Chase is really bad with names. If they are truly calling the old Chase Freedom card Chase Freedom Ultimate, abbreviated CFU, that really makes things confusing. With the current Chase Freedom Unlimited, CFU for short, this would really muddy the waters. I hope that rep just mispoke. Smiley Frustrated

Unfortunately I do believe that is the name of the CF and has been for a few years.   I applied online for my Chase Freedom and after recieving the credit card, as well as the paperwork through the mail, I called to activate it.  I specifically questioned the CSR about the naming of the card, Chase Freedom Ultimate because this is what it is listed as on the disclosures.

This was over 2 years ago.   I originally applied for this card in August of 2018.

Message 28 of 29
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

Freedom Unlimited should come with an unlimited credit line.

Smiley Happy

Ditto!😎

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.