cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you be using your Discover Cards More for the $1Million Prize?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Will you be using your Discover Cards More for the $1Million Prize?

It will be business as usual for me.  I won't be neglecting my other cards for a chance at instant wealth. 
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
kyobakes
New Contributor

Re: Will you be using your Discover Cards More for the $1Million Prize?

for those confused, this is what's being referenced.

http://www.discovercard.com/giveaway/?hcmpgn=1001_HPK_MRQ_PSWPS_BTN

Message 2 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

No.
Message 3 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

No...both of our Discovers are now only used for their 5% cash back categories (up to their small maximums).
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd love to say the $1M would make things "right as rain" but after taxes it would actually just kinda nudge things in the right direction. Hardly a reason to change your CC spending plan especially when you factor in your chance of actually winning.

P.S. - I've played the Lotto maybe twice in my life - I'm just a person who realizes the statistical improbability of these things.  

Message 5 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd love to say the $1M would make things "right as rain" but after taxes it would actually just kinda nudge things in the right direction. Hardly a reason to change your CC spending plan especially when you factor in your chance of actually winning.

P.S. - I've played the Lotto maybe twice in my life - I'm just a person who realizes the statistical improbability of these things.  

Around $700K net would fix me up pretty good. I'd only have to keep working for the benefits then and maybe could not start taking SS until age 67 or so.

I'm still not changing my use patters on my Discover card, although the odds of winning the $1M are probably a little better than those of winning the lottery...

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd rather see Discover fatten up its regular rewards & catch up with the rest of the pack. (I've been a member almost as long as Discover has been around; my membership start date is 1986, just 1 year after the 1st Discover cards were issued.) For years it was the only game in town when it came to cash-back rewards, but lately it's fallen behind such newcomers as PenFed. My Discover card doesn't get nearly as much use as it did 10 or 15 years ago.

It also doesn't help that many of the better restaurants in my neck of the woods (NYC metro area) don't take it & that it's largely useless outside of the U.S. Discover has a lot of work to do if it wants to regain my respect.

Message Edited by JimB on 01-03-2010 12:06 PM
Message 7 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I had an original Discover card way back when as well. I liked it a lot, but unfortunately it was lost in Round 1 of the great credit debacle along with a lot of other nice CC's. (Including my Diners Club card, which was probably my favorite CC of all time.) I am grateful to Discover for taking me back and treating me so well in the process. Right now they are my highest CL. As for the rewards they are fine if used properly. You have to get on the 5% categories and ShopDiscover and stay away from the tiered rewards. I put most everything that would be a tiered reward purchase through PenFed.
Message 8 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

I won't go out of my way to make sure my credit card number get placed in the daily pool to win.  But I will make sure I get a chance at the daily winnings before the game ends.  I may have better luck winning Florida lottery than Discovers give-a-ways .
Message 9 of 17
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

I use my Discover Card to automatically pay my transit card, $86/month. It is sitting in a shoebox with my BofA card and store cards.
TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.