Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winning Amex probation...

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Re: Winning Amex probation...

Okay perfect, thank you! So use it as I wish, report a small statement balance, PIF, and dont be afraid to ask at 61 days? Got it, thanks so much!

I want to build a long relationship with Amex that is lucrative for all. Don't want to scare them off. I use my cards like debit cards (never carry cash) and that will def make them money.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 11 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yep.
FYI, per Amex "credit steps" approval email:

Terms & Conditions

1. You will receive an increased credit limit if you (a) have an amount due on each of your first five billing statements, (b) pay at least the minimum amount due on those statements by the due date, (c) are not past due on the credit report we review at the time we evaluate the credit limit increase, (d) meet federal requirements for ability to pay, and (e) haven’t already received a credit limit increase.

2. Your credit line increase will go into effect by the end of the sixth month after your first payment.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 12 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I saw that but heard so many other things. Even from Amex. Just wanted to confirm
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's definitely a way to get them make money, they usually charge higher transaction fees than Visa/MasterCard from merchants, and Amex don't seem to worry about not getting interest charges because people are paying in full.

And Joe is correct about I was giving more general advices, creditors you have relationships with will regularly do account review inquiries on your credit report and if you are an improving shape, you tend to having a better chance of getting favorable changes on your account.

Message 14 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

I would stick by what is written in their T&C as opposed to word of mouth - even from their own reps.

I got approved with the steps too bc my credit history was too short - despite a 754 FICO at the time. I followed those guidelines (didn't even try for the 61 day cli because I was too much of a punk) and got a 3x increase in month 6.

I never cycled through my limit and still managed to hit the SUB spend requirement in my 3rd month.

So, yea, use your card as you wish & pay it, you'll be fine.
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 15 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I'm hoping to get the double to 1k then I'll wait a statement and try to triple that. Hopefully they'll at least hit 2k since I'm sure disco will be at least 3k by then. I'll be running alot through my PRG for the SUB spend so that'll save the BCE quite a bit of abuse. I'll still ask at 61 days but I'm not gonna get my hopes up...
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought 60 dollars in pizza the day after i got my amex with the plan to min pay min pay buy more pizza min pay min pay buy yet more pizza min pay pay off

XD

>_>  what can i say, i like me a pizza

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also hold up

Yall talking about hitting the luv button at 61 days, but the Terms literally say in subsection e that you cant have recieved a limit increase prior.

No double dipping here.

I am also curious as to whether or not "past due" on the credit report means new derogs or older derogs that existed when the card was approved.

Because my last derog aint dropping for another year yet.

Message 18 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

It said specifically in mine "if you do not receive a CLI prior". Also it means new derogs.
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 19 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

wrote:

Also hold up

Yall talking about hitting the luv button at 61 days, but the Terms literally say in subsection e that you cant have recieved a limit increase prior.

No double dipping here.

I am also curious as to whether or not "past due" on the credit report means new derogs or older derogs that existed when the card was approved.

Because my last derog aint dropping for another year yet.

Wasn't talking about double dipping anything.  Just saying that some have been lucky enough to be approved for a CLI earlier upon requesting at 61 days.  If you are granted a 61 day  CLI, you will no  longer be eligible for an auto CLI in the 6th month.  It's either or.   Bottom line, you can try for a 61 day CLI and if you get it, great, if not - then you wait.    

And I assume it mean "new" derogs.  They already know about existing derogs and approved despite them.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.