Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With Amazon buying Whole Foods....

tag
cjesser15
Contributor

With Amazon buying Whole Foods....

Is there any chance the Chase Amazon Prime card will be able to get 5% back in Whole Foods Stores? Or is that wishful thinking? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: With Amazon buying Whole Foods....

While I imagine they will create some sort of way for the Amazon credit cards to benefit users at the stores, I don't realistically expect 5% back just for the swipe.  Profit margins on groceries are fairly slim, anyway, compared to the electronics and consumer goods that make up the majority of Amazon purchases - after all, they have to make the margin to have the ability to give it back to cardholders.

One perk I do sxpect to see is Amazon/Amazon Prime cardholders (not Chase Visas, which can already work anywhere) should eventually be able to make purchases in store with their accounts.  Which means a lot of people (myself included lol) would have to either locate that often-used-but-rarely-touched card or get a new one mailed to us...

Message 2 of 52
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

The first east coast Amazon brick and mortar store is not far away from me out in the suburbs and my understanding is that they do not accept the Synchrony card, so it is very doubtful that Whole Foods will.  Whole Foods is keeping their name and CEO, so other than maybe some expansion of Amazon Fresh I don't know how much integration there really will be.

Message 3 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing the MCC and everything else will stay the same so it's seriously doubtful.

I don't understand the acquisition at all but I guess the market kinda liked it. 

        
Message 4 of 52
NRB525
Super Contributor

I will speculate that there will be a tie in; order on Amazon, pick up at WF and count it toward the 5%. 

Amazon has never really cared about margin when trying to disrupt an industry. Using their own store card to take the value back for those swipe fees, you may see 5% on such purchases. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 52
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The first east coast Amazon brick and mortar store is not far away from me out in the suburbs and my understanding is that they do not accept the Synchrony card, so it is very doubtful that Whole Foods will.  Whole Foods is keeping their name and CEO, so other than maybe some expansion of Amazon Fresh I don't know how much integration there really will be.

More variety for Prime Now deliveries will be most welcome.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

To respond to the margin issue - A) Whole Foods Markups are insane anyways so even taking 10% off wouldn't hurt them.

And B) Target is also a grocery store (they sell pretty much all the groceries any other chain grocery store does) and with their RedCard they offer 5% on groceries as well on top of Cartwheel and plenty of other discounts.

So my guess is that there will be some tie in discount using an Amazon card whether that is the store card issued by Synchrony or the one issued by Chase.
Message 7 of 52
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I believe the Amazon/Whole Foods profit margin discussion is a mute point. 

As I understand it, lthe cash back bonus is issued by the bank offering the credit card, in this case Chase, and NOT the retailer.  

The retailer could care less if you use an Amazon Visa or a Cap1 Venture to pay for your goods and services.  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@cjesser15 wrote:
Is there any chance the Chase Amazon Prime card will be able to get 5% back in Whole Foods Stores? Or is that wishful thinking? Thanks in advance.

That was one of my first thoughts too!   But like others have said, probably unlikely except for the model of order on line and pick up at a store.

Many of the analysts seem to think that Amazon will get WF prices to drop to increase market share, so there will be some gain there.

Message 9 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grillandwine - Target's is issued by TD Bank, not Target yet it still provides a 5% discount on everything including groceries so why is unreasonable to think they may issue some kind of discount (maybe 3%) for using it at Whole Foods
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.