Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Travel

tag
mmajer4211
Regular Contributor

Work Travel

I'm looking for a little advice on credit cards for work travel. In a new postion I'm considering taking I'd be traveling around the country/world each week of the year. I would fly out on Sunday night or Monday morning and then fly home Thursday night every week of the year. I will be allowed to book my own travel which means I can take advantage of all the points/rewards. I'd probably rather use a separate card than my every day card just because it would be easier to expense things but it's not off the table to use my personal CSP. 

This would be used for airfare, hotels, car rentals, and dining so I'd be looking for a card that could take advantage of all of those categories. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! 

MASSIVE OVERHALL (48) MONTHS IN

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Work Travel

Does your company not provide a credit card for travel expenses? I was in a similar position a few years ago, and while I did put some of those charges on my personal cards a few times, company policy preferred that we use a credit card provided by them to better track costs.

That being said, when I would use my personal cards for reimburseable expenses, I tended to use either my Amex Platinum (flights, status) and my Sapphire Reserve (most everything else).

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 8
mmajer4211
Regular Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Does your company not provide a credit card for travel expenses? I was in a similar position a few years ago, and while I did put some of those charges on my personal cards a few times, company policy preferred that we use a credit card provided by them to better track costs.

That being said, when I would use my personal cards for reimburseable expenses, I tended to use either my Amex Platinum (flights, status) and my Sapphire Reserve (most everything else).

I would have the option of taking a company card or using one of my own. I'd rather use one of my own to take advantage of the rewards. I just opened a Sapphire Preferred but if I'm going to be traveling this much do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the Reserve? Is that even possible?

MASSIVE OVERHALL (48) MONTHS IN

Message 3 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I agree with @Stralem, if you need to use your personal cards, then I'm thinking the AMEX Platinum is the bees knees.

I'm currently working for a company which issues a company card and insists we book all of our travel and non-travel expenses on it; yeah, we lose out on mileage and such, but they have an integrated travel and expense system which makes expense reporting a snap.  Given I H-A-T-E expense reporting; losing out on the perks is *almost* offset by the integrated systems.

The above said, I am currently being recruited for two jobs which would require doing the Sunday/Monday-Thursday travel thing every-other week (on average); one gig is with a global bank so I'm sure they'd issue me their own credit card, the other is with a relatively young company which in turn might well mean I'd need my own cards (next interview is this week so maybe I'll know more then).  The bad news for me regarding this latter opportunity is I burned AMEX, Chase, and Citi in my Chapter 13 and would be very surprised if any of them let be back in the door anytime soon, if ever.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@mmajer4211 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

I would have the option of taking a company card or using one of my own. I'd rather use one of my own to take advantage of the rewards. I just opened a Sapphire Preferred but if I'm going to be traveling this much do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the Reserve? Is that even possible?

If I recall correctly, the Reserve has access to the network of Priority Pass airport lounges; I've noticed these lounges are not always located in the most convenient part of any given airport compared to the airline I'm flying on, but when they are, it is a blessing to be able to take advantage of them.

With the above said, one of the reasons I was so fond of my, now long gone AMEX Platinum, was the access to the Delta Sky Club lounges; definitely worth the price of the annual fee.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 8
Stralem
Established Contributor

@mmajer4211 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

From personal experience, the Reserve makes a lot more sense for a frequent traveler.

Can't upgrade until a year after account opening, unfortunately. Not will Chase allow you to have multiple Sapphire products.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

I agree with @Stralem, if you need to use your personal cards, then I'm thinking the AMEX Platinum is the bees knees.

I'm currently working for a company which issues a company card and insists we book all of our travel and non-travel expenses on it; yeah, we lose out on mileage and such, but they have an integrated travel and expense system which makes expense reporting a snap.  Given I H-A-T-E expense reporting; losing out on the perks is *almost* offset by the integrated systems.

This is certainly a consideration.   Another is how efficient the reimbursement system is.  At times, even with a Fortune 10 (or maybe especially with a Fortune 10) there would be stupid queries about certain charges, holding up payment for the whole expense report.   On a personal card, too long a delay on an expensive trip can be a problem.

Eventually, it was much easier with a corporate card as most things get linked automatically, and, similar to @Horseshoez I would sometimes use the corporate card even when I could use my personal one, just to avoid the expense report hassle.

Message 7 of 8
TGG_1976
Contributor

Having been in both situations (work travel on personal card vs. corporate card): one point to keep in mind, most companies only re-imburse once or twice a month. So with your extensive travel, make sure you personal card limit covers all eventualities and emergencies that may come up. 

Like other said, I travel on corporate card these days, and having expenses imported into the report system automatically goes a long way in making your life easier. I would not go back to work travel on a personal card. 

I use Amex Platinum for personal travel. My company uses Amex also as a corporate card. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.