Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Around AmEx Four Credit Card Limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working Around AmEx Four Credit Card Limit

I just hit the four credit card limit with my Blue Business Plus from American Express, current setup below with the BCP, Hilton Aspire, Delta Plat, and BBP.  I no longer use the BCP and wouldn't mind replacing it with the Marriot card for the annual free night certificate.  I could either:

A) apply and likely be denied for having four cards, recon the denial and offer to cancel the BCP to be approved for the new card

B) cancel the BCP now and apply for a new card in a month. 

Just wanted to see if there were any DPs/recent experiences with either course of action. TIA!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Working Around AmEx Four Credit Card Limit

@Anonymous wrote:

I just hit the four credit card limit with my Blue Business Plus from American Express, current setup below with the BCP, Hilton Aspire, Delta Plat, and BBP.  I no longer use the BCP and wouldn't mind replacing it with the Marriot card for the annual free night certificate.  I could either:

A) apply and likely be denied for having four cards, recon the denial and offer to cancel the BCP to be approved for the new card

Just wanted to see if there were any DPs/recent experiences with either course of action. TIA!

Following to get more info. I've heard this (most recently) means 4 revolvers, however, I am being declined for a 5th card with a higher FICO than when I was approved for my first 4:

Optima (2018) charge 

Platinum (2020) charge 

Mariott Bonvoy Brilliant (2020) revolver 

Amazon Business Prime (2020) revolver

Message 2 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You may also have an underwriter call to confirm that it was in fact you that applied and then tell you that you will be approved if you agree to close one of your existing cards, they may give you free reign to pick the card to close or restrict your choices.

If you agree they will close the agreed-upon existing card immediately and then approve your application for the new card with you still on the call.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Following to get more info. I've heard this (most recently) means 4 revolvers, however, I am being declined for a 5th card with a higher FICO than when I was approved for my first 4:

Optima (2018) charge 

Platinum (2020) charge 

They may still be a bit wary about your past baddies and may have already extended you all the credit they are willing to at this time.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 15
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Huh I didn't know that this a thing with AMEX because I have 6 cards with them lol. Two of which is a charge card, one being a Business Green. Good to know I guess!

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Optima (2018) charge 

Platinum (2020) charge 

They may still be a bit wary about your past baddies and may have already extended you all the credit they are willing to at this time.

+1.   You have 2 revolving cards, so with the announced 4 revolver (not 4 card) limit the limit is not impacting you.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarbonCard wrote:

Huh I didn't know that this a thing with AMEX because I have 6 cards with them lol. Two of which is a charge card, one being a Business Green. Good to know I guess!

@CarbonCard AmEx says you can have four credit cards, charge cards (Plat/Gold/Green) are in a category of their own. So I have seven cards total: four credit cards and three charge cards.  

Message 7 of 15
notmyname
Regular Contributor

I have five revolvers as of about three months ago without any issue. I wonder if cobranded plays into that allowed number in any way.

Message 8 of 15
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CarbonCard wrote:

@CarbonCard AmEx says you can have four credit cards, charge cards (Plat/Gold/Green) are in a category of their own. So I have seven cards total: four credit cards and three charge cards.  

Yeah I got that, I just didn't know Amex have that limit because when I applied for my last Amex credit card (Cash Magnet), I honestly thought 4 is more than enough. If they announce a new credit card with enticing rewards structure, I'd probably close the Blue (the basic one) card or PC it if possible.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notmyname wrote:

I have five revolvers as of about three months ago without any issue. I wonder if cobranded plays into that allowed number in any way.

@notmyname You got your fifth revolver three months ago? According to the CC blogs the new rule came out in mid-May this year. I'm thinking about applying and there might be a chance of getting approved without having to close an older account.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.