Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World MasterCard and Visa Signature Thresholds

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

World MasterCard and Visa Signature Thresholds

I'm just curious what the general thresholds are to have a Visa or MasterCard converted to VS or WMC status. I'm sure they're different for each lender, but any info would be great. Thanks!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: World MasterCard and Visa Signature Thresholds

VS has to be $5000+. WMC doesn't have a limit threshold it's more to the discretion of the lender really
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 24
ddemari
Super Contributor

Like the other poster stated, World and World Elite MasterCard has less criteria for approval/ designation. I have several World MasterCard's if I averaged their limits it would be $4,000.00. I have two World Elite MasterCard's, if I averaged their limits it would be $3,000.00.

Now I used to believe that Visa Signature required a hard $5,000.00 limit to be considered signature visa. But, I think that has changed and it more based on the lend. For example, I don't know of any Chase Freedom people being approved for Signature unless it is at least $5,000.00.

But, then you have people getting approved for Synch Bank Ebates Visa Signature with a $4,000.00 CL. 

Message 3 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

Like the other poster stated, World and World Elite MasterCard has less criteria for approval/ designation. I have several World MasterCard's if I averaged their limits it would be $4,000.00. I have two World Elite MasterCard's, if I averaged their limits it would be $3,000.00.

Now I used to believe that Visa Signature required a hard $5,000.00 limit to be considered signature visa. But, I think that has changed and it more based on the lend. For example, I don't know of any Chase Freedom people being approved for Signature unless it is at least $5,000.00.

But, then you have people getting approved for Synch Bank Ebates Visa Signature with a $4,000.00 CL. 

Right, and I think someone here got a Citi Forward converted to signature with a CL well below $5K

Message 4 of 24
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

I read on some site or another that Visa dropped the 5k minimum requirement last year. The article was basicly talking about how WMC and Visa Sig are no longer really a special perk. The WEMC and the new Visa you can't get in the states yet (forget the name) are somewhat more prestigious but even then....
I remember reading a book as a young teen where the girl "dropped her platinum card" and shocked the store clerk into realizing she was wealthy. Imagine?
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 5 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jeff532003 wrote:
I read on some site or another that Visa dropped the 5k minimum requirement last year. The article was basicly talking about how WMC and Visa Sig are no longer really a special perk. The WEMC and the new Visa you can't get in the states yet (forget the name) are somewhat more prestigious but even then....
I remember reading a book as a young teen where the girl "dropped her platinum card" and shocked the store clerk into realizing she was wealthy. Imagine?

LOL... that's funny Smiley Very Happy

"Back in the day" ('90s) when somebody had a 'Gold' card, it meant something. 

When Citibank upgraded my Visa to their 'Gold' before my trip to the U.K. in 1995, it took a HP to see if my credit limit could be increased to meet the $5K minimum for 'Gold' (I wanted the card to be gold for the rental car insurance benefit).  After it was approved, I not only got a new card, they changed some of the numbers on the account as well (the BIN changed) to indicate the card was in a different class.

Back then I had a second part-time job in retail, and if (when) the computers would go down and credit card approvals required a phone call, a lot of times if the purchase was under $100 and the customer's card was 'Gold', we wouldn't even call for an auth code until the end of the night, since none of us had ever had a gold card declined.  (While I worked there, the streak was unbroken, BTW).

But today, you can get a 'Gold', or even 'Platinum' card with a $300 credit line, so it no longer means anything.  Heck, even my Wells Fargo debit card has 'Platinum' written on it... LOL

Message 6 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Jeff532003 wrote:

While "special" is of coure subjective, the point is few people are ever going to use or care about the benefits. I hassled with Capital One awhile back to get my QS upgraded to a Visa Sig. Guess what? Was not worth my time or effort at all. Have not used even one of the benefits. I should have just realized that ahead of time. The movie tickets are a nice perk, yes, but for real world use there's really nothing else I'd even slightly use

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Jeff532003 wrote:

While "special" is of coure subjective, the point is few people are ever going to use or care about the benefits. I hassled with Capital One awhile back to get my QS upgraded to a Visa Sig. Guess what? Was not worth my time or effort at all. Have not used even one of the benefits. I should have just realized that ahead of time. The movie tickets are a nice perk, yes, but for real world use there's really nothing else I'd even slightly use

Sometimes it's not about the benefits of the card itself, but the ego boost it gives the cardholder. My Freedom was originally a World Mastercard and when it was reissued came as a Visa Platinum, an error perhaps as it has a 12K limit but it doesn't bother me one bit. I still swipe it at the pump this quarter for 5X UR. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 24
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Jeff532003 wrote:

Sometimes it's not about the benefits of the card itself, but the ego boost it gives the cardholder. My Freedom was originally a World Mastercard and when it was reissued came as a Visa Platinum, an error perhaps as it has a 12K limit but it doesn't bother me one bit. I still swipe it at the pump this quarter for 5X UR. Smiley Happy

Ah yes, the "prestige"!!! Manipulation by marketing Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 24
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

If you need self-satisfaction from what the name that follows "Visa" is, you should re-evaluate your life.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.