Did you mean: 

World mastercard elite, Amex and Visa Sig/Infinite no fee cards

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: World mastercard elite, Amex and Visa Sig/Infinite no fee cards

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:
@Anonymousgood catch; yes I meant Double Cash. Have my DP (which is a WMC) to Prestige PC on the mind. Smiley Wink

Keeping the Premier or moving that to DP when the AF is due? I like the Premier for its more broad travel definition.

All of the tiers of Visa and MC have varying benefits. Not all visa signatures have trip cancellation or primary rental insurance, and AMEX has a lot of different levels of benefits and perks. So just read the benefits disclosures carefully.

Keeping Premier for actual spend when I want to earn TYPs, but changing from DP to Prestige for the 4th night free and airline credit.  Hoping the APR stays 12.24% or whatever that raised to with the prime rate increases (account still showing 0%).

FWIW, here are the actual benefits that are typically offered with these cards, although each card issuer can certainly opt out of particular ones:

World MasterCard benefits

World Elite MasterCard benefits

Visa Signature benefits

Visa Infinite benefits

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that not all cards are worthy just because it has a high tier in itself, but a lack of high tier also lacks features as well as certain baseline features are standardized.

Credit issuers like Chase have pulled back benefits.  Amex on the other hand has added them.  Wells Fargo Propel has many benefits that Chase pulled back on and additional ones as well and while it is weaker than some amex cards, it competes favorably.  They shook up the market with this new product.  Goldman Sachs by Marcus and the Apple pay credit card will be another groundbreaking product where details are left unknown.  I am more than sure it will be an intriguing product.  Best cards are still limited offerings with preinvitation only and a significant high networth required where lots of people like myself can’t qualify for at this time.  My products are all the best fee free cards with high combination of benefits and rewards in Visa Signature, or World Mastercard Elite tiers.  When/if Visa Infinite offers a no annual fee card, I will look into it although I realize it isn’t offered now.  

Message 12 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Start with deciding which benefits you want, and then pick cards accordingly. Some Visa Platinum cards can beat some Visa Infinite cards in some respects.

For instance, a Costco Visa Platinum has price protection and a better extended warranty than a CSR.

Of course, the CSR wins on travel protections.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 18
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree that not all cards are worthy just because it has a high tier in itself, but a lack of high tier also lacks features as well as certain baseline features are standardized.

Credit issuers like Chase have pulled back benefits.  Amex on the other hand has added them.  Wells Fargo Propel has many benefits that Chase pulled back on and additional ones as well and while it is weaker than some amex cards, it competes favorably.  They shook up the market with this new product.  Goldman Sachs by Marcus and the Apple pay credit card will be another groundbreaking product where details are left unknown.  I am more than sure it will be an intriguing product.  Best cards are still limited offerings with preinvitation only and a significant high networth required where lots of people like myself can’t qualify for at this time.  My products are all the best fee free cards with high combination of benefits and rewards in Visa Signature, or World Mastercard Elite tiers.  When/if Visa Infinite offers a no annual fee card, I will look into it although I realize it isn’t offered now.  

So from what I gathered here, the new WF Propel card offers the following benefits:

- cell phone insurance

- extended warranty

- coverage for lost or stolen items (purchase protection)

- return protection (satisfaction guarantee)

- travel accident insurance

- lost baggage coverage

- secondary car rental insurance

The ones in bold are the benefits offered on my Amazon Prime Visa, and everything in blue is provided by the Uber Visa from Barclays.

As you can see, some of the benefits are pretty common, but the Uber Visa definitely goes an extra mile. Although it doesn't have lost baggage coverage, it does have baggage delay insurance. In addition, the Uber Visa also offers ID Theft Protection, and is one of the few Visa Sigs left that still offers price protection (120 days to boot!). I can agree that Chase cutting back price and/or return protection from their cards makes them less attractive especially if you're paying an AF.

But anone of that really matters since the no-AF Uber Visa just blows them all out the water if card benefits are what you're after. I know Barclays gets a bad rep around here, but given the high cash back and plethora of perks, I still think the Uber Visa just can't be beat for what it offers at 0 AF.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Wells Fargo is competitive for Amex especially with their higher travel rewards when paired with the Visa for bonus as well as checking accounts.  And we all know that lost luggage protection is necessary since bags do get lost by airlines too frequently.  I cant comment on length of price protection or other features although I do know it has it, just didn’t check the length of time.  ID Protection is meaningless which I get already from another firm for free including an insurance policy.  Mastercard and lots of firms offer basic ID protection free on their accounts and a lot of people qualify for free products due to previous incidents. Wells Fargo Propel is the most compelling new offer I have seen so far for fee free products.  Other new offerings on premium cards have fees and high spend requirements to make the cards justified.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can probably try the Amex Everyday or Amex Blue Cash for basic spending. Chase Sapphire Preferred is another which offers good reewards and benefits. The annual fee of 95 is waived for the first year. You can give that a try to see if it suffices your requirements, if not you can PC to Chase Freedom Unlimited or try for that altogether. As far as a visa infinite card is concerned I don't think there is any that offers without an annual fee. It's just that the perks offered on those cards far outweigh the annual fee for targeted people.

Message 16 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Is baggage delay or baggage loss protection particularly useful without trip cancellation or trip delay protection?

Is travel accident insurance particularly useful without medical evacuation coverage?

Is domestic secondary rental coverage very useful if you own a car already (and would have to file with your own car's insurance company first)?

It seems odd to me to get excited over certain travel-related protections on no-AF products. If you're ever in a situation where you actually need to use some of the benefits, you may be wishing you had used an AF card that covered a lot more!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 18
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Wells Fargo is competitive for Amex especially with their higher travel rewards when paired with the Visa for bonus as well as checking accounts.  And we all know that lost luggage protection is necessary since bags do get lost by airlines too frequently.  I cant comment on length of price protection or other features although I do know it has it, just didn’t check the length of time.  ID Protection is meaningless which I get already from another firm for free including an insurance policy.  Mastercard and lots of firms offer basic ID protection free on their accounts and a lot of people qualify for free products due to previous incidents. Wells Fargo Propel is the most compelling new offer I have seen so far for fee free products.  Other new offerings on premium cards have fees and high spend requirements to make the cards justified.

I don't think the WF Propel offers price protection, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I also flipped through the full benefits guide (PDF) for the "old" Propel and nowhere is price protection mentioned. 

I travel light and rarely have checked bags so I can take or leave lost baggage insurance. But price protection is an increasingly rare perk that's important to me, especially since I order from Amazon a lot where prices can fluctuate wildly over time. To each his own though. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.