Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth Applying For A Best Buy Card?

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Worth Applying For A Best Buy Card?

Hi All

I am in the market for a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet and keyboard, Best Buy have 0% for 18 months if I open an account, I see that the account is administered by Citi - I have a great relationship with Citi, so should I open a BB account - or just app for another Citi card with the same 0% for 18 months - and then enjoy the extended warranty protection and extra stuff that I don't think the BB card comes with?

I am not particularly interested in Best Buy "points" - what do you think? - would having a "store card" make a better improvement to my Fico than just another Credit Card? It says to get a "mix" of accounts and I dont have any store cards

Thanks All

Chris

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Worth Applying For A Best Buy Card?

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Hi All

I am in the market for a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet and keyboard, Best Buy have 0% for 18 months if I open an account, I see that the account is administered by Citi - I have a great relationship with Citi, so should I open a BB account - or just app for another Citi card with the same 0% for 18 months - and then enjoy the extended warranty protection and extra stuff that I don't think the BB card comes with?

I am not particularly interested in Best Buy "points" - what do you think? - would having a "store card" make a better improvement to my Fico than just another Credit Card? It says to get a "mix" of accounts and I dont have any store cards

Thanks All

Chris

From a rewards stand point I think you can do better with other cards than BB and still end up with 0%  IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks MJ - I think we came to the same conclusion, actually I think i will use my (currently SD'd) Discover card instead - I have a couple of months of 0% still available - so will stay in the garden Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 5
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

if you dont shop there alot, i wouldnt get a store card. 

the perk though is and read this in the print its 18 months 0% interest on xamount spent 

i think its 1000 for the 18 months but i could be wrong. 

the points are okay but they can only be redeemed to use for best buy purchases. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Thanks MJ - I think we came to the same conclusion, actually I think i will use my (currently SD'd) Discover card instead - I have a couple of months of 0% still available - so will stay in the garden Smiley Wink

Using Discover makes sense and if you need time to stretch out more 0% then the choice would be a new card/BT offer and possible bonus extra points in the deal. 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.