cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth it to ask Chase for a CLI right now?

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Worth it to ask Chase for a CLI right now?

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

I know they do a hard pull, but they are offering BTs of 0% for six months, or 3.99% for the next year and a half. I want to pay off my Citi and other cards.  My CL is currently $3700 and I want to ask for $10K, and see if they'll even give me at least $5K.   

My scores are below and I've had a really good payment history with them.   

I don't like this plan. It is asking for trouble.
Hmm - why?  I wouldn't max it out but want to take advantage of it.  I still have low BT offers from BofA, but the rate is slightly higher.  Please share your thoughts, I am indeed interested in knowing what my fellow FICO'ers think.  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pattycake wrote:

I know they do a hard pull, but they are offering BTs of 0% for six months, or 3.99% for the next year and a half. I want to pay off my Citi and other cards.  My CL is currently $3700 and I want to ask for $10K, and see if they'll even give me at least $5K.   

I agree. 

pattycake, by your own statement your previous Chase CLIs were auto-generated.  As were mine.  I think allowing Chase do a hard pull and see outstanding balances on other cards could be a problem. Just curious, what is your UTIL on all cards?

Message 12 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

Hmm - why?  I wouldn't max it out but want to take advantage of it.  I still have low BT offers from BofA, but the rate is slightly higher.  Please share your thoughts, I am indeed interested in knowing what my fellow FICO'ers think.  

1) Requesting a CLI invites scrutiny and a definite hard INQ, and

2) Carrying a balance invites AA. (They won't RJ the BT. But they can and will RJ the purchase APR.)

Sometimes it is better to FUTR. I have a Providian -> WaMu -> Chase account that so far has not been touched. I am not messing with whatever mojo is working for me. Just because your account is an original Chase account does not provide protection against AA. If I had other alternatives I would not burn a hard INQ to pursue this. I would even call BofA and ask them for a better BT offer before I would go to Chase. -OR- You have good enough scores, app for something new with Citi and you might just get a 12 month, 0% APR BT offer.

Message 13 of 15
pattycake
Established Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

1) Requesting a CLI invites scrutiny and a definite hard INQ, and

2) Carrying a balance invites AA. (They won't RJ the BT. But they can and will RJ the purchase APR.)

Sometimes it is better to FUTR. I have a Providian -> WaMu -> Chase account that so far has not been touched. I am not messing with whatever mojo is working for me. Just because your account is an original Chase account does not provide protection against AA. If I had other alternatives I would not burn a hard INQ to pursue this. I would even call BofA and ask them for a better BT offer before I would go to Chase. -OR- You have good enough scores, app for something new with Citi and you might just get a 12 month, 0% APR BT offer.

Not sure I want to bring down my AAoA down any more.  I'm already at four years, 11 months.  I've always PIF'd my Chase account, since the APR is at 14.9% (rewards cash card).  

If you all smell something foul in the Chase air, I'll carry a small balance and just pay it off over time.  I'm not about to mess with my rebuilt FICO mojo.  

Cap One is also doing a 0% offer on some of their cards - thoughts?   

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a WAMU Plat. opened 12/06 and converted to Chase freedom in April. 
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.