cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth waiting for new limits to post before going on an app spree?

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Worth waiting for new limits to post before going on an app spree?

I've successfully stayed in the garden for almost 6 months now.  If my calculations are correct, I'll hit 6 months tomorrow and my plan has been to do a little app spree on Friday.

I've had some significant CLIs in the past month that haven't posted to my account yet.  My Sallie Mae went from $1k to $1.2k, I got a $3.3k increase on my J Crew to $4850 now, and most recently my Venture was increased from $5k to $7.5k, which is my highest limit.  I believe the Sallie Mae increase has been reported to one agency so far, while the other two have not reported yet.

My question is, would it be worth waiting until those increases post before applying.  I know some lenders will base your limits on what else you already have.  My util is 1% currently so that wouldn't change if the increased limits post.  I'll have 4-6 inquiries per bureau, with none in the past 6 months.  Income is strong and I always PIF.  I must say, the itch to apply is getting pretty strong and I've been looking forward to scratching for months.

I'll be targeting the following cards, more or less in this order of preference:

SSFCU Power Travel Rewards (already member of this CU)

Barclays Arrival+ - originally part of the plan but not sure now with the nerf, and not sure if I can even apply for it

2nd Venture - to stand in for the Arrival+ and also so I can consolidate my current Venture into my QS

Fremont Bank Amex - this is my local bank and their card program is through FNBO

Barclay Wyndham or Ring - if the Arrival+ is not an option, I would like to extend my relationship with Barclays

Citi Premier - I have a long-standing business card with them but suspect I might be BL for their personal cards; either way I'd like to find out

I'm probably just interested in getting 2 new cards so if things go well I won't be making it all the way down the list.Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Worth waiting for new limits to post before going on an app spree?

it'll absolutely be worth it. it'll help keep you from toy limits
Message 2 of 5
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
it'll absolutely be worth it. it'll help keep you from toy limits

Yeah, my brain is telling me one thing and my itchy trigger finger is telling me something else.  Gotta try to be patient.

Message 3 of 5
rlx01
Established Contributor

A+ is still worth it for $420 an a single TU pull.

You can downgrade to the no AF version after the first year...
Message 4 of 5
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Yes, absolutely! I've been getting CLI's in preparation for my big app here in a couple weeks. High limits beget higher limits!  (well, kinda Smiley LOL )

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.