Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Amex call my bank

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Would Amex call my bank

I'm about to apply for my 61 day cli on my BCP. Its been over 61 days at this point and my account due date is not until 3/21. I scheduled a payment today with amex online paying the balance all the way down to 0. I am waiting for my account to reflect the payment before applying for the CLI (even though my available credit is now the full line of the card). I was wondering if I called amex could they do anything to update my account by calling my bank and confirming the funds are in my account, so that I don't have to wait on the system to update?

I had a situation with chase where they dropped a hold on my payment once and the chase rep called my bank with me on the phone to confirm that the payment was going through and then chase updated the account on the spot. Granted that situation was different. I know this sounds impatient, but I want to do the CLI request before my next card app. And I need to obtain my next card soon, because I am holding off on a bunch of expenses that I want to put on that card to make the initial spend. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: Would Amex call my bank

Personally, and I don't mean any offense by this, but I would just wait, it couldn't be more than a day or two before everything clears I wouldn't think.  I kind of feel like going through all the motions to hurry a payment through and then requesting a CLI may draw undue attention to yourself. But this is just one mans opinion. Smiley Happy

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

If your available credit shows that you have made the payment I'm not sure waiting any longer is going to make a difference.  I doubt making one payment is really going to affect wether amex increases your credit line or not.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Just put your expenses on the card to meet the spend then pay it off as soon as they post if you want to app for a new card, if you are putting expenses on the card that you cant pay off immediately I would think twice about doing so.

Message 4 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Just put your expenses on the card to meet the spend then pay it off as soon as they post if you want to app for a new card, if you are putting expenses on the card that you cant pay off immediately I would think twice about doing so.

I already PIF. The question I was asking with deals with trying to get the amex account to update as quickly as possible, so I can app for CLI and then another card. The initial spend I am talking about deals with the new card not with amex.  

;
Message 5 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

If your available credit shows that you have made the payment I'm not sure waiting any longer is going to make a difference.  I doubt making one payment is really going to affect wether amex increases your credit line or not.

The only reason I was concerned is because my amex credit line is only 5.7k and the amount of charges came out to around 1k. I wanted to pay that 1K off before asking for a CLI just because it seemed like a somewhat large percentage of my overall credit line and the fact that I am a new amex customer, so there are not a lot of payment cycles on file yet. 

;
Message 6 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@BrokaToe wrote:

Personally, and I don't mean any offense by this, but I would just wait, it couldn't be more than a day or two before everything clears I wouldn't think.  I kind of feel like going through all the motions to hurry a payment through and then requesting a CLI may draw undue attention to yourself. But this is just one mans opinion. Smiley Happy

Yea, I really don't like unnecessary attention. 

;
Message 7 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

It might be a large precentage of your credit line, but 1k is really nothing to AMEX.  I have requested credit line increases from AMEX with much higher utilization and have always got what i asked for.

as long as your charge regularly and make large payments on time you won't have any problems.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

It might be a large precentage of your credit line, but 1k is really nothing to AMEX.  I have requested credit line increases from AMEX with much higher utilization and have always got what i asked for.

as long as your charge regularly and make large payments on time you won't have any problems.

Yea, I know its small potatos, but due to my thin file and very short amex history I want to make as strong a showing as possible. If this was a CLI after six months I would feel much more comfortable because I would have a longer documented history. 

;
Message 9 of 19
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I'm sorry, but what does "meet the spend" mean?  Smiley Embarassed

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.