Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I get approved?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would I get approved?

Hi all,

Right now I am coming up on 7 months of credit history.  Currently I have one card the Discover It Secured card that has a $200 limit on it.  I don't see why Discover would not unsecured my card because I have always paid early, I have always had a utilization of less then 20%(8% this month because I paid it down before statement closed) and have been a responsible card user.  Because of that I would like to add another card to my wallet, The American Express Blue Cash everyday.  I would like to know if you think i'd get approved for this card?  It seems like I would be approved based on what I have read.  One last note is that my credit score is a 769.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would I get approved?

have you tried to check to see if you have a pre approval?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did last month and it gave me the Hilton and delta cards. I plan to do it again once I see what happens with discover.
Message 3 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I would certainly try the preapproval link.  It's important to note that Amex will use your Experian FICO 08 score.  If you don't have that, you can get it free from Discover at this link.  (Discover's cardholder website give you a TransUnion FICO 08 score each month.)  If your EX score is within the ballpark, unless there are some other factors we're not aware of you'd certainly be approved for the BCE.

Edit: Of course I just saw your signature that says EX 08.  Other than some factor we're not aware of (very low income, previous bad history with Amex, etc.) I'd be surprised if you were denied.

Message 4 of 21
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Right now I am coming up on 7 months of credit history.  Currently I have one card the Discover It Secured card that has a $200 limit on it.  I don't see why Discover would not unsecured my card because I have always paid early, I have always had a utilization of less then 20%(8% this month because I paid it down before statement closed) and have been a responsible card user.  Because of that I would like to add another card to my wallet, The American Express Blue Cash everyday.  I would like to know if you think i'd get approved for this card?  It seems like I would be approved based on what I have read.  One last note is that my credit score is a 769.  Thanks.

My discover unsecured at 8 months. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Technically the graduation program last 12 months. They've just been graduating people early. Amex is a crap shoot because of your profile. Depending on the card they may require a year of credit use before approving you, while for others they will approve you with a thin profile

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards approve thin files? I have no baddies or anything on my file just low history and income as I’m a college student.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just speaking from my own personal experience, when I had gotten my first AMEX approval, my AaoOA was 6 mos. that was March of 2017. My one only card at the time was the secured Capital One. I checked for Pre approved offers from AMEX but did not show any, so I took a chance and applied for the BCE and was approved for 1K. They pulled EX, and at the time of my application, my EX score was 742. There's a chance you will get approved for the card, That is if you don't mind starting off with a low limit. With AMEX, there's  no bucketing, so your card will grow over time with good management. Hope this helps

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool. I have low income so that is one thing I worry about.
Message 9 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You'll probably get approved for a charge card no problem. I say apply for the one you want, if you don't get it and just want to get in, apply for a charge card or delta skymiles afterwards. If this is gonna be your only card for a while, 2 pulls isn't bad for your score. You'll lose 5-6 points, but that'll be made up easy once the new card posts to your profile.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.