cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Like to Apply to My First Amex Revolver, Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would Like to Apply to My First Amex Revolver, Advice?

@SecretAzure wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everybody.

So in two days I will finally have 12 months of credit history and I thought I would take a chance and apply for an Amex revolver. My question is which Amex revolver (if any) do you think I could get approved for? Here is a little background information about myself: My only card is a Discover It credit card, which is the first and only type of credit I have ever had. According to Discover, my TransUnion Fico score is currently 778. I haven't had any inquiries at all since I applied for my Discover It card, which was about 17 months ago. I have never had any late payments. Every month since I have had the card I have reported between 1-4% utilization, (this month specifically, will be 3%). And lastly my annual income is $39,000.

Thank you all very much!

If your Experian score is comparable to your TransUnion score I think you would be approved for any of their cards, so you should just pick the type of card that you would find most useful for your needs.

The Blue Cash Every Day and Blue Cash Preferred are pretty good cash back cards.

The Everyday is a good card for American Express travel rewards.

Okay, I'm seeing these three cards mentioned alot in the similar posts I have looked at so far, thank you!

I should mention that neither Amex nor Discover is accepted everywhere. Some establishments honor only Visa and Mastercard.

This is true but if you know the places you shop regularly you should just look for the Amex sticker at the front of the store. It wouldn't make sense to get an Amex if nobody around you accepts it. It happens to me every once in a while that someone doesn't take Amex. I merely reccomend it highly because:

1. They accept people with thin profiles (like OP's)
  2. They are very generous with their limits (2 big CLI's in the first 8 months)
  3. Their customer service is tolerable

For a thin profile, a card like Amex that will give you limits in the 5 digit range easily is a great boon. 

Okay, thank you all so much for your replies! I think that I will go ahead and apply for the BCE card!

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check back and let us know how it went....good luck

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I ended up deciding that the Everyday was a better fit for me than the BCE, and went ahead and applied for it a few minutes ago and was instantly approved for $10,000 credit line! Thank you all for your help! Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

NICE.....congrats on your approval...Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I ended up deciding that the Everyday was a better fit for me than the BCE, and went ahead and applied for it a few minutes ago and was instantly approved for $10,000 credit line! Thank you all for your help! Smiley Very Happy

Just wondering: what made you want the ED more than BCE?

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

yup... amex ED or BCE, got the same 10k like you did on a very thin file!

Message 26 of 27
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats.

What's your limit with Discover? Do you want any other card, like Visa or Mastercard? I think you don't want a lot of cards, yet is better to have a few to build a good credit profile and don't get hit so hard with big AAoA changes. You can wait a few months for your next card or apply right now and let both cards age together.

If you want to build your credit further, if you don't have any open loan, read about the secured loan technique. It will help you with your credit mix and will help you get a thicker file. Good luck.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.