cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You Apply for a Synchrony Card Today?

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Re: Would You Apply for a Synchrony Card Today?

Yes.

I miss my Amazon Store Card.

I use Amazon way too much to not get that 5%. Just waiting for Synch to let me back in (IIB).

Message 31 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

absolutely. i would get the 5% amazon synch card

Message 32 of 61
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

But I've read about all the recent Synchrony card abrupt closures. I don't want that to happen to me! Would you recommend applying for a Synchrony card today? My use of the card would be pretty limited.

I had about $90K in CLs with Sync when I was part of their big purge last year.  Since that point, I've obtained two Sync products because they made sense for my needs.   I intend on keeping my Sync cards to a minimum for now.   As for what you should do, get products that make sense for your needs and keep your exposure limited.  I doubt they'd care much about one card or two.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 33 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heck no

Message 34 of 61
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@ridgebackpilot   I'm not a fan of opening new cards everytime I want to do a 0% promo.  We probably use this card for automotive promos 4-5 times/year.  It depends on your needs....long term guestimate. Does the risk outweigh the benefits?  Depends on how much of a benefit it would be to you, esp. if you're gonna be walking on pins and needles wondering if/when AA.  If you really want it...go for it.  Nobody has a crystal ball.  Just like nobody knows when Synch will totally drop a card, quit servicing it and you're out a tl.

Did you do a search on their portal to see the stores in your town that accept Car Care? We have several. Also, there are purchase amts. that individual autoshops have set with the length of financing...I'd ask individually. (6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc. vs. amt of service ticket for each)

Plus you can use the card for fuel practically anywhere which is an easy way to keep it alive in between service periods.

Something else, whether you have towing ins. or not, is you can get your mechanic/automotive shop to orchestrate towing, servicing, the whole 9 yds and throw all the charges onto the promo.  That's convenient.  We did it before and had no problem getting reimbursed by the Ins. co. for the tow bill portion.

Anyway, it's a handy card if you need it and perhaps need it often...like we do from time to time. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 35 of 61
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:

Yes.

I miss my Amazon Store Card.

I use Amazon way too much to not get that 5%. Just waiting for Synch to let me back in (IIB).

FYI @Total80sKid 

This is the 5% quarter (up to $75) for Amazon.com Target.com and Walmart.com from Disco;  first year cards get 2x that so $150...  

Message 36 of 61
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

We app'd for a Lowe's card 2 weeks ago, so for me, yes. 

This reminds me of the Top Gun classroom scene The Elite, the best of the best  where Viper poses to Maverick  "do you think your name is gonna be on that plaque?"   and @JNA1 answers "Yes Sir!"

Message 37 of 61
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

We app'd for a Lowe's card 2 weeks ago, so for me, yes. 

This reminds me of the Top Gun classroom scene The Elite, the best of the best  where Viper poses to Maverick  "do you think your name is gonna be on that plaque?"   and @JNA1 answers "Yes Sir!"

😂😂

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 38 of 61
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

After reading about all of the closures on accounts here (with no late payments)... I would certainly hesitate.  I would probably not opt for any of their store cards, but I would apply for CareCredit..... which is excellent for medical, dental & vet bills.... as well as other things.  

I believe ...They also make a substantial amount of money by discounting the amount paid to the "merchant" on the various plans, so they may not look to close these accounts as often..... but other than that,  I'd look for other options.

Message 39 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jordan23ww wrote:

My answer currently would be no.  I had a Sam's Club credit card a few years ago which is issued by Synchrony Bank. Used it every time I went to Sam's and always paid the balance in full.  They closed my account after 2 or 3 months of inactivity. Back then I bought so much stuff I didn't need to go to Sam's every single month.

Found out about the card closure when the Sam's Cashier told me my card was declined. I had a cart full of items and a lot of people behind me in line. It was so embarrassing.  Although I still shop at Sam's every month, or at least every other month, I have been extremely reluctant to open a Sam's credit card again with this company despite all the great benefits they have added to it.  I just don't trust them at all! 

It's not just synchrony that does this.  I was made an authorized user for Costco by my mother and got a citi costco card and added her to my sam's club membership as well.  Two months later got a letter in the mail from Citi informing me my Costco credit card had been cancelled due to inactivity.  That's just the way store credit cards are in general for the most part.  

Message 40 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.