cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You Apply for a Synchrony Card Today?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Would You Apply for a Synchrony Card Today?

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

For background, I've never had any kind of card issued by Synchrony Bank. In general I don't like store cards and have none in my portfolio. But I need a couple of sets of new tires, and America's Tire (Discount Tire) is offering 0% interest on tire purchases if you open a Synchrony Car Care card. I got pre-qualified on their site and am considering applying. 

But I've read about all the recent Synchrony card abrupt closures. I don't want that to happen to me! Would you recommend applying for a Synchrony card today? My use of the card would be pretty limited.

No I would not.

1. Their reporting to credit bureaus is erratic.

2. They have no sense of responsibility towards their customers, as evidenced by the senseless account closings of the past year and a half.

3.  Store card offerings like that are tempting short term but are ultimately useless and junk up and suppress your credit scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 41 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

For background, I've never had any kind of card issued by Synchrony Bank. In general I don't like store cards and have none in my portfolio. But I need a couple of sets of new tires, and America's Tire (Discount Tire) is offering 0% interest on tire purchases if you open a Synchrony Car Care card. I got pre-qualified on their site and am considering applying. 

But I've read about all the recent Synchrony card abrupt closures. I don't want that to happen to me! Would you recommend applying for a Synchrony card today? My use of the card would be pretty limited.

Yeah, quite a few people who had said closures also had 20k to 50k credit limits on furniture store credit cards and no they weren't hotel owners either.  They got the cards and kept on asking for more and more credit increases to pad their utilization score.  Yeah, I don't have sympathy for that since people were using there synchrony credit cards with ultra high limits to lower there utlization while runnning up there limits on other cards.    

Now having said that do I think you should get a credit card from Synchrony?  Yes, if it makes sense for your situation.  I have the Sam's Club mastercard from Synchrony and use it all the time for all purchases at gas stations since everything codes as gas and gives my 5% back as well as using the card for 3% back on sam's club purchases.  So if you have a purpose for the card get it if not don't get it.

Message 42 of 61
collics
Established Contributor

Disrespectfully...H3LL NO!!

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 43 of 61
cr101
Established Contributor

I only hope that they're one of the companies that read customer comments and actually do something about our complaints. I would love to at least get confirmation from them that they typically only CLD customers with really high CL.

Message 44 of 61
collics
Established Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Probably not. I have two sync cards, and I feel like Synchrony is entropy in my life.

Love the format of your sig

Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 45 of 61
collics
Established Contributor

@Anonymous 

@Total80sKid 

I want 5% from Amazon also but I'm bypassing Sync and shooting for big papa Chase Visa.

Dedicated to sitting in the garden for 1-2 years for it.

Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 46 of 61
calyx
Super Contributor

If it gave a decent discount or was something that was useful for me - absolutely.
My sync card happened early on in my (re)build, since I got a 0% promo for 48months on a large purchase. 
It did some erratic reporting at first, but seems to have smoothed out, and hasn't been a problem.   I have capped out the max on the card (25k), so it just rides with automatic payments (though the amount left is low enough that I'm thinking about just paying it off).

I don't have any problem with Sync (or store cards), and I am not concerned with them shutting down large tradelines any more than I do any of my other cards.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 47 of 61
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I would app for any CC including Syncb, Barclays, Comenity as long as that benefits me greatly like getting perks, bonuses, etc...

I will then handle and manage it to the best of my ability and just let life play on.

I definitely would not fret over things I have no control of as Life is too precious and short to be worrying about trivial things.

There are bigger and better things in life to focus on.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 48 of 61
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@FishingGuy Some ppl who filed BK had also perfect payment prior to that.

Message 49 of 61
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Yes I would get a Synch card - if you use them with care along with your other lines of credit.

America's Tire has been the most used Synch card with 4 cars to take care of.

I have a lot of Synch cards totalling over $30K:

• PayPal
  • Amazon
  • Mattress Firm
  • B&H
  • America's Tire
  • Mathis Bros
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.