Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would buying a gun raise any flags?

tag
Greg34
New Contributor

Would buying a gun raise any flags?

Hello all,

I am thinking about purchasing a pistol for recreational target practice as well as home defense. I have an American Express blue card and thought I might just put it on there and pay it off in one payment (to get the points), but with the way AmEx is acting right now is that a good Idea? Would I raise any red flags for my purchase?

Its not like a can't pay cash for it but I like putting big purchases like that on the CC so I can at least get some points for it.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would buying a gun raise any flags?

@Greg34 wrote:

Hello all,

I am thinking about purchasing a pistol for recreational target practice as well as home defense. I have an American Express blue card and thought I might just put it on there and pay it off in one payment (to get the points), but with the way AmEx is acting right now is that a good Idea? Would I raise any red flags for my purchase?

Its not like a can't pay cash for it but I like putting big purchases like that on the CC so I can at least get some points for it.

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be fine...they will treat it just like any other purchase. Unless you are a sleeper terrorist, then it might raise a red flag. The 2nd amendment is a beautiful thing for all of us law abiding citizens. Go make your purchase you should be fine. 

Message 2 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They say that they aren't tracking purchases in order to evaluate credit-worthiness any more, but who knows?

I just wouldn't buy it at WalMart. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 14
silly34
Regular Contributor

If you get a 9mm, .40/.45... good luck finding quality ammo.  I think even .22 rounds are becoming hard to find.  I've been trying to buy some more defense rounds for my Springfield .40 and my wifes Kahr 9mm with no luck.  Oh and this a board I am a member of.. lots of great info out there for conceal carry and laws.

B.

Message Edited by silly34 on 05-11-2009 02:00 PM
Message Edited by silly34 on 05-11-2009 02:00 PM

edited to remove live link to outside non-credit-related website per forums TOS and User Guidelines Smiley Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-11-2009 12:19 PM
Message Edited by HappyDays on 05-11-2009 01:15 PM
Message 4 of 14
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Greg34 - I used my discover for the same reason and they didn't blink an eye.

I live in NJ where prices are through the roof and the sales tax is ridiculous. I save a lot of money buying online.

Message Edited by ocheosa on 05-11-2009 11:55 AM

edited to remove live links to outside non-credit-related sites per forums TOS and User Guidelines. And yes, I know that Cabelas has a very nice Visa. Smiley Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-11-2009 12:23 PM
Message Edited by HappyDays on 05-11-2009 01:18 PM
[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg34 wrote:

Hello all,

Well, if you don't write them any threatening letter in the same week, you should be fine Smiley Happy.

Message 6 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, everyone, here are the links back. Sorry, we're really not nuts, we were just trying to clarify if it was OK to post links to non-credit sites (which aren't "problem" sites.) It ain't always easy.

This was the link on silly34's post:

http://www.xdtalk.com/

These were the links on ocheosa's post:

www.budsgunshop.com

http://www.cabelas.com/

Sorry for any confusion!

* goes to pour cold water on over-heated head *

OP, good luck on your original question. My attitude about AmEx these days is that I'll use the card for whatever I like, and if they have an issue with it, tough for them. But then that CL is only about 2.3% of my total CL, so that's easy for me to say.

I think that FretlessMayhem once speculated that he got FR'd for using his AmEx to buy a gun, but that might have been because it was at one of those traveling gun sale deals. And there were some other things that might have done it instead, so I don't know that he ever was really sure.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 14
athensguy
Valued Contributor

I've purchased gun related stuff with Discover, Citi, Chase, and FNBO and I haven't had any problems.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bud's is a good online dealer to buy from. I've used my BoA Amex to purchase firearms. 
Message 9 of 14
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I bought a gun on my Amex charge card, from a gun show, and Amex never blinked. You should be fine.

FWIW, I've also bought a gun (Springfield EMP, excellent weapon) on my Chase Freedom and they didn't care either.

Here we go again...
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.