cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it be wise for me to remove First Progress credit card?

tag
DarkKnight_Credit
New Contributor

Would it be wise for me to remove First Progress credit card?

Hi everyone, 

I started rebuilding my credit for quite some time. I went from 480 (in 2018) to around the 670s recently. With that said, I have 3 cards so far, which is American Express, Capital One, and First Progress. I got pre approved for a Discovered card today and I was wondering would it be wise to replace First Progress with Discover Card? 

My average age of credit is 9 months:

• Capital One - 1 year, 7 months
  • First Progress - 7 months
  • American Express - 2 months

I used First Progress, because I was advised to use it by a credit builder company. And the total line of credit is only $200. Would this be an ok decision for me to get Discover and remove First Progress?

Thanks!

My credit cards:

Starting Score 08/2021: 
Current Score: 
26 REPLIES 26
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Would it be wise for me to remove First Progress credit card?

is there a monthly or annual fee for it?  if so, keep it until it is 1yr old, then close it

if no AF, throw it in a drawer - let them close it for lack of use, but meanwhile you will get some aging with it

I would wait 2-3 more months before going for the Discover - you have 2 cards in the last 7 months - give it some time

too soon between apps can mean the highest APR and the lowest CL to start with

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 27
thornback
Senior Contributor

Yes.  Secure your Disco approval first and wait for it to report.  Then go ahead and close First Progress if you want.  

Closed accounts remain on your reports for ~10 years after the date of closure and continue to age and factor into your age of accounts during that time.  The only thing lost from closure is the credit limit.   You'll lose the age when it falls off years down the road, but since it's not your oldest card, any point loss at that time should be insignificant. 

Alternatively, you could wait til First Progress ages to the one year mark then close it (this would be for the sake of a longer, fuller on-time payment history). However, if the card is charging monthly fees to keep it open, then close it right away.  If it's annual fee, close right before the next fee is billed.

Bottom line:

Scorewise, closing it won't hurt.  If there are fees associated- save your money.  If the card is free to hold - then consider hanging onto it for a bit longer to help build a stronger profile and only charging something small every few months to keep it active -- but if you don't want to be bothered, don't hesitate to close it 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 27
thornback
Senior Contributor

@RSX wrote:

I would wait 2-3 more months before going for the Discover - you have 2 cards in the last 7 months - give it some time

^^This is a good point.  You have a young profile so may benefit from spacing out your apps a bit. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 27
DarkKnight_Credit
New Contributor

Thanks for the tips, everyone! With that said, I'll go ahead and wait until First Progress hits the 1 year mark and start applying for new cards by then. And removing the card afterwards. I should hit up a few points by then Smiley Happy

@RSX wrote:

is there a monthly or annual fee for it?  if so, keep it until it is 1yr old, then close it

if no AF, throw it in a drawer - let them close it for lack of use, but meanwhile you will get some aging with it

What does that mean? If I apply for a credit now, I would have a higher APR and a lower credit limit, compared to 2-3 months from now?

My credit cards:

Starting Score 08/2021: 
Current Score: 
Message 5 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There are no guarantees with credit limits and APRs, but as a general rule the more time one can place between recent credit-seeking and a new application, the more favorable the terms.

Message 6 of 27
thornback
Senior Contributor

@DarkKnight_Credit wrote:

What does that mean? If I apply for a credit now, I would have a higher APR and a lower credit limit, compared to 2-3 months from now?

"Credit seeking behavior" may result in a higher apr and lower limit, yes.  Has nothing to do with your actual scores or payment history.  6 months is the recommended safe zone for time between apps. 

That said, you may do just fine. Disco likes young/thin profiles and isn't super sensitive to new accounts.  They also do apr reductions so you could reduce a high apr over time.  

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 27
DarkKnight_Credit
New Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@DarkKnight_Credit wrote:

"Credit seeking behavior" may result in a higher apr and lower limit, yes.  Has nothing to do with your actual scores or payment history.  6 months is the recommended safe zone for time between apps. 

That said, you may do just fine. Disco likes young/thin profiles and isn't super sensitive to new accounts.  They also do apr reductions so you could reduce a high apr over time.  

Ineteresting. I didn't know about that. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

My credit cards:

Starting Score 08/2021: 
Current Score: 
Message 8 of 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Your APR is going to be high (ish), but since you're rebuilding you shouldn't be carrying balances anyway. 

What does pre-approval lists for APR? 

Message 9 of 27
DarkKnight_Credit
New Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Your APR is going to be high (ish), but since you're rebuilding you shouldn't be carrying balances anyway. 

What does pre-approval lists for APR? 

I think it's around 22% for the pre-approval.

My credit cards:

Starting Score 08/2021: 
Current Score: 
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.