cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it ok to close my $500 CL secured Capital 1 card? OR will it hurt my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it ok to close my $500 CL secured Capital 1 card? OR will it hurt my score?

I just got my chase freedom card with a CL of $2500 to be used for food aka charge back card (pay every week). Prior to that Ive been using my quicksilver cap 1 card with a CL of $3000. I have other store credit cards as well (best buy, sycrony(discount tire i know i spelled it wrong).

The oldest credit card i have is a secured credit card from cap 1 that i opened up cause i had meh credit at the time with a CL of $500. Its been $500 since i opened it and when I did request a CLI it was a no go. I see no use for this card. The rewards is meh and i have a 22%apr on it. If i have multiple purchases ill go aboe the 30% utilization rate. Also the annual fee is what i hate the most (which btw i will have to pay soon). Yeah i can always call capitalone and get it waived but honestly i dont wanna bother with this card.

I know if i cancel the card it will still be on my credit history... but what kind of negative effective will i have if i cancel it?

edit: my current experian credit score is 680

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would it ok to close my $500 CL secured Capital 1 card? OR will it hurt my score?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got my chase freedom card with a CL of $2500 to be used for food aka charge back card (pay every week). Prior to that Ive been using my quicksilver cap 1 card with a CL of $3000. I have other store credit cards as well (best buy, sycrony(discount tire i know i spelled it wrong).

The oldest credit card i have is a secured credit card from cap 1 that i opened up cause i had meh credit at the time with a CL of $500. Its been $500 since i opened it and when I did request a CLI it was a no go. I see no use for this card. The rewards is meh and i have a 22%apr on it. If i have multiple purchases ill go aboe the 30% utilization rate. Also the annual fee is what i hate the most (which btw i will have to pay soon). Yeah i can always call capitalone and get it waived but honestly i dont wanna bother with this card.

I know if i cancel the card it will still be on my credit history... but what kind of negative effective will i have if i cancel it?

edit: my current experian credit score is 680

It won't have any negative effect.  Here's a good post about the effect of closing cards:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.