cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to apply for premium rewards card: is it wise to apply for a low-tier card?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Would like to apply for premium rewards card: is it wise to apply for a low-tier card?

@myjourney, hmm I didn't know that little fact about Chase - I'll definitely take that into consideration. In general though, why would I regret a new card that I don't use as much (aside from the HP) if there's no annual fee? In my opinion, I feel that aside from the HP and AF, there's little to regret about a seldom used card.

Message 11 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Would like to apply for premium rewards card: is it wise to apply for a low-tier card?

@mkhan1093 wrote:

@myjourney, hmm I didn't know that little fact about Chase - I'll definitely take that into consideration. In general though, why would I regret a new card that I don't use as much (aside from the HP) if there's no annual fee? In my opinion, I feel that aside from the HP and AF, there's little to regret about a seldom used card.

Good question (bravo)

I hate to answer a question with a question but everyone's answers could be different 

Is it worth the hit to AAoA?

Is it worth possibly getting approved then 3 months later you see a card that fits you spending perfect and want but now are denied for to many recent accounts? 

The flip side is you are correct you could get a card and it sit in the SD never used, lowers UTL and only cost you one HP with no AF.

Another question was this card really any good for you or your long term profile? 

Only you can answer this.....Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the 2 cards with their respective credit lines in your profile, I doubt you would be approved for the CSR. I've read a few threads on here where people were denied because they didn't already have a comparable credit line on another card.

That said, I'm also not an UW 😊 so your best option would be to go in branch and talk to someone to see if you are preapproved.
Message 13 of 19
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Thank you @myjourney for your continued  help in this thread, and to @Abby2932 as well for the input! I can see that maybe right now my chances for the CSR are slim to none, but it doesn't hurt to go in-person and see what Chase actually has to say. Also thank you for the mini-lesson on what all could happen upon applying for any credit card. I'm truly grateful.

Message 14 of 19
rlx01
Established Contributor

The issue here is the need for some comparable CLs or higher income.

You could try for the CSP, build up your profile with Chase over 6 months, and then apply for the CSR. I could see that having a higher chance of success.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm really looking forward to apply in the near future for the Chase Sapphire Reserve, but the length of my credit is relatively very short (3 years) and my relationship with Chase itself is even younger (~1 mo.). My FICO score at the moment is on the 699/700 border. Would it be a wise move to apply for a low-tier card (e.g. a Discover it or Chase Freedom, etc) just to lower my utilization ratio? I'm hoping this can bump up my score, despite the hard pull it would cause.

Any insight is appreciated, and thank you!

I don't agree with the distinction you draw between what you term "premium" cards and "low-tier" cards. The only thing "low-tier" is a card you don't really need. For some people a card with a $450 annual fee, and travel rewards which need to be redeemed on a particular web site, would be "low-tier" because it's of little value, while others would find it very useful.

I agree with that.  I'm a non-traveller, so to me, the regular Freedom and Discover are highly coveted, and I'd have little use for any of the Sapphire's. If i could have any 3 cards in the world and only 3 cards, the regular Freedom and Discover would both make the cut.

Message 16 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm really looking forward to apply in the near future for the Chase Sapphire Reserve, but the length of my credit is relatively very short (3 years) and my relationship with Chase itself is even younger (~1 mo.). My FICO score at the moment is on the 699/700 border. Would it be a wise move to apply for a low-tier card (e.g. a Discover it or Chase Freedom, etc) just to lower my utilization ratio? I'm hoping this can bump up my score, despite the hard pull it would cause.

I don't agree with the distinction you draw between what you term "premium" cards and "low-tier" cards. The only thing "low-tier" is a card you don't really need. For some people a card with a $450 annual fee, and travel rewards which need to be redeemed on a particular web site, would be "low-tier" because it's of little value, while others would find it very useful.

I agree with that.  I'm a non-traveller, so to me, the regular Freedom and Discover are highly coveted, and I'd have little use for any of the Sapphire's. If i could have any 3 cards in the world and only 3 cards, the regular Freedom and Discover would both make the cut.

I disagree!  tier doesn't, at least to me, denote utility, more how easy it is to get.   Freedom is an entry level card for Chase, whereas CSR, with a min $10K CL, certainly isn't, and is thus of a higher tier.

Message 17 of 19
noobody
Established Contributor

OP has low income with thin file, has trouble paying off the current credit card bill (4X min is far from good enough in my book).
Apply more credit to lower utility is BAD idea financial wise.
I would NOT advice him to take on another 4K debt, that is disaster waiting to happen.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 18 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I disagree!  tier doesn't, at least to me, denote utility, more how easy it is to get.   Freedom is an entry level card for Chase, whereas CSR, with a min $10K CL, certainly isn't, and is thus of a higher tier.

Yes of course the commonly understood meaning of "low tier" and "high tier" would be how prestigious and hard-to-get it is, vs "entry level", etc. The point I was trying to make is that one should not concern himself or herself with such considerations. No one cares how prestigious your credit card is. The only consideration should be the extent to which it serves your financial objectives.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.