cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to get another AMEX...but unsure.

tag
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

Would like to get another AMEX...but unsure.

Last month, I opened up a BCE and now I am looking at possibly getting an additional AMEX card (either a charge or another revolver).  I am unsure as to whether or not to get one because I am mainly worried that this may concern AMEX that I am trying to open up too many accounts with them in a short period of time.  

I am also concerned as to whether or not it will affect the potential 3x CLI that I could get after having the BCE open for 61 days.  If it does...is it only affected if I open up another a revolver or is it affected from both revolver and charge.  Has anyone had success in opening up an AMEX and then opening up another one a short time after and still getting the famous 61 day CLI on the first account?

Finally, does AMEX like you to have multiple accounts?  Anybody with multiple AMEX accounts please chime in...

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
adavis425
Established Contributor

Re: Would like to get another AMEX...but unsure.

I got my AmEx Gold Delta and BCP one week apart and still received the full 3x cli at 61 days on the Gold Delta. I don't think you'll have an issue if you choose to move forward. You can only get the 3x cli on one card every 6 months after the initial 61 days cli.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 2 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Amex has no issues with multiple accounts.  I have two revolvers and two charge cards.  I did not open mine so close together, and personally, I would probably wait until after getting the CLI to open the second one, but there are plenty of people who report opening them in fairly quick succession and having no issues.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Six accounts total, 2 charge (personal and business) and 4 revolvers (2 each personal and revolver) all in the last 9 months. Latest personal revolver last week with 15 HP on EX. 

So yeah, pay on time, PIF and app away. 

Message 4 of 9
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I opened my blue sky and bce about 3 weeks apart from each other last month I asked the csr about opening them so close together and she said people do it all the time so they can get different rewards
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 9
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

I got my AmEx Gold Delta and BCP one week apart and still received the full 3x cli at 61 days on the Gold Delta. I don't think you'll have an issue if you choose to move forward. You can only get the 3x cli on one card every 6 months after the initial 61 days cli.

Okay...that is good to know.  I am thinking about getting the Gold Delta card or a Green Card.  Nothing else looks too appealing and the stuff that is really good has a high annual fee, so...no thanks.  I was mainly looking for another card to earn miles in hopes that I can use that towards going somewhere nice one day.  However, I was also looking at a charge card to branch out a little bit.  I used to be a big no-go on charge cards and was a revolvers kind of guy all the way...but now, I am trying to keep an open mind.

Do the points on the Gold Delta Skymiles card expire after a certain time period?

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 6 of 9
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

No, Skymiles do not expire. Redemption rate sucks but the shelf life is second to noneSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if you live near a Delta hub, but their miles are pretty hard to redeem. You might look into a United Explorer Visa. The Amex SPG is good for hotels as well as miles on a lot of programs. You could probably get both the Explorer and SPG.
Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AMEX has no problem ar all with multiple accounts, there are people with 4-5 accounts with them.

Hell we used to have a member called Mr. AMEX (tanner).....oh let me stop there lmao

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.