cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this be frowned upon by banks?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would this be frowned upon by banks?

Gdale6, I like how real you are. Respect.
Message 31 of 58
driftless
Valued Contributor

The question that I have is does this type of manipulative behavior and account churning hurt the rest of us long term? It might if the ccc adopt restrictive policies to prevent this sort of activity. I wonder if Chase's 5/24 policy was instituted in part because of account churning?
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 32 of 58
Chris679
Established Contributor

@driftless wrote:
The question that I have is does this type of manipulative behavior and account churning hurts the rest of us long term? It might if the ccc adopt restrictive policies to prevent this sort of activity. I wonder if Chase's 5/24 policy was instituted in part because of account churning.

No question Chase's policy was done to prevent bonus churning.  Banks are going to decide where they want to draw the line based on profits.  They are going to act in their best interests just like those of us that want to get the bonuses.  You can't stop others from doing it and like another poster said the negative effects are going to happen no matter what you do.  Classic example of a prisoners dilemma. 

There is another way to look at this too.  People who are churning bonuses are very low risk for the ccc.  I'm not going to lose any sleep wondering if the poor credit card companies are turning enough of a profit.

Message 33 of 58
myjourney
Super Contributor

@driftless wrote:
The question that I have is does this type of manipulative behavior and account churning hurts the rest of us long term? It might if the ccc adopt restrictive policies to prevent this sort of activity. I wonder if Chase's 5/24 policy was instituted in part because of account churning.

We can debate, throw out assumptions and guess for years but the only one that can answer this would be the lender 

And what we fail to see here is they buy rewards in bulk at a discount price so in all likelihood they're profiting and really not giving you much anyway

My assumption is no it does not hurt them or they would take the Amex philosophy and limit bonuses to once in a lifetime per card 

5/24 oddly enough is the same time frame as Chase's policy of obtaining a bonus for same card every 2 years 

Citi every 18 months 

Back to Amex and if membership goes down we may see that policy change to stimulate sales since Chase and Citi didn't follow suit

I think were losing the fact here that even a churner makes them money 

Example along with all new accounts add 100,000 churns that will spend 5k each + swipe fees although this is probably a small market of their business do the math and see the potential income they get every year from just the so called/labeled churners 

My vacations in premium seats and hotels are paid for via this method (free) 

I pay for dining and attractions I wish to enjoy that's itSmiley Tongue

Not to piss anyone off but people save 1-2 years for a nice vacation (out of pocket) maybe throw an offsetting card like Arrival/Cap1 (erase purchase)

All my vacation are paid for with points and or erasers long before I get on the plane 

Now my question who's making out better and I mean no harm here but either learn to play the game by the lenders rules or don't cry over spilled milk that you had a chance to drink .....Not you driftless Lol just a general statement 

Signed,

Churner for life

P.S. playing by the lenders set rules and policies 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 34 of 58
driftless
Valued Contributor

Being a relatively new member to this board the whole gamesmanship of accumulating rewards, etc., is new to me. I have certainly flown on many flights that I did not pay for. My post was to question when does a person's self-motivated actions, like what the OP is suggesting, effect the rest of us? I think that is a fair question. Are there no limits nor boundaries? The pursuit of credit cards, CL's, and rewards as a sport is something that I can understand but don't want to participate in. Perhaps I don't belong on this forum.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 35 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone that wants to learn belongs here. there are churners, hoarders, conservatives, cluelessness, in debt.. everything in here. just find what you're comfortable discussing Smiley Happy
Message 36 of 58
myjourney
Super Contributor

@driftless wrote:
Being a relatively new member to this board the whole gamesmanship of accumulating rewards, etc., is new to me. I have certainly flown on many flights that I did not pay for. My post was to question when does a person's self-motivated actions, like what the OP is suggesting, effect the rest of us? I think that is a fair question. Are there no limits nor boundaries? The pursuit of credit cards, CL's, and rewards as a sport is something that I can understand but don't want to participate in. Perhaps I don't belong on this forum.

Lol you belong right here with the rest of us credit hounds passing and obtaining knowledge Smiley Wink

My answer to your question

I don't think it effects your group of consumers at all because you are the majority of their business clients IMHO

Included in your grouping are the ones that know nothing about forums like this bonuses and PIF 

So they in most likelihood make the big banks even more money so they have figured out how to make money off all of us 

That's my view at least ...ha ha ha 

Make sense?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 37 of 58
Open123
Super Contributor

@driftless wrote:

On the contrary, there are probably more anti-churners/anti-rewards folks on here than any other forum I've ever particpated in.  I'd say, you'd fit right in.

Message 38 of 58
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@driftless wrote:

We can debate, throw out assumptions and guess for years but the only one that can answer this would be the lender 

And what we fail to see here is they buy rewards in bulk at a discount price so in all likelihood they're profiting and really not giving you much anyway

My assumption is no it does not hurt them or they would take the Amex philosophy and limit bonuses to once in a lifetime per card 

5/24 oddly enough is the same time frame as Chase's policy of obtaining a bonus for same card every 2 years 

Citi every 18 months 

Back to Amex and if membership goes down we may see that policy change to stimulate sales since Chase and Citi didn't follow suit

Example along with all new accounts add 100,000 churns that will spend 5k each + swipe fees although this is probably a small market of their business do the math and see the potential income they get every year from just the so called/labeled churners 

Not to piss anyone off but people save 1-2 years for a nice vacation (out of pocket) maybe throw an offsetting card like Arrival/Cap1 (erase purchase)

All my vacation are paid for with points and or erasers long before I get on the plane 

Now my question who's making out better and I mean no harm here but either learn to play the game by the lenders rules or don't cry over spilled milk that you had a chance to drink .....Not you driftless Lol just a general statement 

Signed,

Churner for life

Smiley Very Happy

Churn.gif

Message 39 of 58
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Citi every 18 months 

Signed,

Churner for life

Smiley Very Happy

Churn.gif

Making butter yew ha Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.