Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you cancel the Amex Zync?

tag
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

Would you cancel the Amex Zync?

I'm actually trying to look for a reason to keep it, but I can't think of one. Anyone have any thoughts? 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would you cancel the Amex Zync?

You can close it and keep it at the same time.  Grab some putty and stick it on the wall.

Message 2 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I think of it as "the recession Amex".

Sure, it's the 'unicorn" and you hardly ever see one...but the same could be said of the Ford Pinto.

Some things fall in popularity for good reason!

*And I say this as someone generally pro-Amex with 6 of their cards!
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 14
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I suppose if you don't have a need for the card anymore, and its taking up space, then close it. The account will still remain positive on your reports for 10yrs from closing date, and will still continue to factor into AAOA and AHOA.
Message 4 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It was one of my very very few goal cards, and while I admit it's something of a trophy now the fact is it's on the left side of my oversized 22 slot billfold that I keep all my random cards in... and those are the ones I'm keeping.

Ultimately everyone can do as he or she wishes, but I generally make up the AF easily via an offer or two when I can be bothered to check, it's one of my oldest tradelines, and I'm pretty sure unlike the BCE which I don't really use that much I can keep the Zync basically forever unless I BK.  Also $2 and change a month is utterly irrelevant to me, jeez just in AF's alone I'm over 1K annually currently when we're talking strike price before various credits and benefits.

That's of value for me, learned the hard way how limited history can retard your credit effectiveness and how much easier this would've been if I'd just kept that stupid MBNA card from college, and I'm utterly over the top with ruthlessly optimizing my report anyway even compared to most people on this forum... so keeping around tradelines to anchor my report that aren't likely to go away: yes.

That and let's call it what it is cause even I can be superficial occasionally: it's still my prettiest card, and I'm going to keep it until Amex takes it away from me.

        
Message 5 of 14
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I would keep it if the AF dont bother you at 25 bucks for a NPSL item. Do you ha e any other Amex products?
Message 6 of 14
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Of course you should do what's best for your situation.  But.

The Zync is a true unicorn.  Here in Chicago, I see the Centurion and the JP Morgan Reserve regularly. I have NEVER seen the Zync.  It was the card we all could have gotten or tossed. Now it's gone forever.  For a time earlier I thought the rose gold had a chance. It does not.

Let me quote DaveinSC  "You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead hand."!

Prince.gif

Message 7 of 14
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Still have mine although I haven't used it in forever.  Keep it!

Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

It was one of my very very few goal cards, and while I admit it's something of a trophy now the fact is it's on the left side of my oversized 22 slot billfold that I keep all my random cards in... and those are the ones I'm keeping.

Ultimately everyone can do as he or she wishes, but I generally make up the AF easily via an offer or two when I can be bothered to check, it's one of my oldest tradelines, and I'm pretty sure unlike the BCE which I don't really use that much I can keep the Zync basically forever unless I BK.  Also $2 and change a month is utterly irrelevant to me, jeez just in AF's alone I'm over 1K annually currently when we're talking strike price before various credits and benefits.

That's of value for me, learned the hard way how limited history can retard your credit effectiveness and how much easier this would've been if I'd just kept that stupid MBNA card from college, and I'm utterly over the top with ruthlessly optimizing my report anyway even compared to most people on this forum... so keeping around tradelines to anchor my report that aren't likely to go away: yes.

That and let's call it what it is cause even I can be superficial occasionally: it's still my prettiest card, and I'm going to keep it until Amex takes it away from me.

Yup, keeping mine as well unless they force it out from that product structure.   I keep getting upgrade offers to Gold and Platinum, but I don't ever entertain them.   Besides the history and low AF, it's worth keeping IME. 

Definitely up to you OP based on what you feel is ideal for your profile. 

Message 9 of 14
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Mine was getting a little old since it was aging and I actually requested a new card a few months ago...now my new one is nice and clean.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT like the Rose Gold and they'll be bringing it back.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.