Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you close this card?

tag
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

Would you close this card?

I have 2 American Express cards with MSD of 1994.  My Amex BCP and Everyday (opening 3/29/14).  The BCP has a CL of $12,900 and the Everyday has a limit of $24,500. I understand I can't transfer the limit over from my Everyday to the BCP until after March and I'm finding that I'm not using the ED as much as I thought when I applied.  

I am thinking of closing the ED when I'm able to transfer the CL over to the BCP.  The card would report 21 years by then and would remain on the CR for 10 years.  Does that make sense or should I keep it open, even though I'm not using it?

EDIT:  My AAOA is 8 years.  Oldest card: 21+ years.  Newest card:  2 days

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Would you close this card?

I don't see a down side.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@techiegirl wrote:

I have 2 American Express cards with MSD of 1994.  My Amex BCP and Everyday (opening 3/29/14).  The BCP has a CL of $12,900 and the Everyday has a limit of $24,500. I understand I can't transfer the limit over from my Everyday to the BCP until after March and I'm finding that I'm not using the ED as much as I thought when I applied.  

I am thinking of closing the ED when I'm able to transfer the CL over to the BCP.  The card would report 21 years by then and would remain on the CR for 10 years.  Does that make sense or should I keep it open, even though I'm not using it?

Do it.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@techiegirl wrote:

Do it.

I don't see the upside. After you do the limit transfer, just leave it open in the sock drawer. Is your BCP also dated to your MSD? My initial reading was that it was not. If that's true, it might provide more reason to keep the card open

Message 4 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Once you're able to transfer the limit over, close it. That's what I'm doing with my Delta skymiles card when it turns 13 months.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

Once you're able to transfer the limit over, close it. That's what I'm doing with my Delta skymiles card when it turns 13 months.

While I am usually very much in the camp of "close unwanted cards" in this case I might keep it open.  The major reason to close no AF Amex cards is to free up slots (as you are only allowed a certain number).   I would keep it (and not use it all) in case I want to PC to another.  Amex has tightened up on bonuses for existing cardholders, so there may be times there is no downside to PCing, and you would have a spare card to do it with.

But closing is also fine!

Message 6 of 7
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

While I am usually very much in the camp of "close unwanted cards" in this case I might keep it open.  The major reason to close no AF Amex cards is to free up slots (as you are only allowed a certain number).   I would keep it (and not use it all) in case I want to PC to another.  Amex has tightened up on bonuses for existing cardholders, so there may be times there is no downside to PCing, and you would have a spare card to do it with.

But closing is also fine!

That's a very good point. I heard Amex doesn't have any options at all for PCing to the ED products so I'd figure that it would be the same trying to PC from the ED to another product. I don't have many PC options for my Delta card at all except to other Delta cards so besides the really good sign up bonus I was able to get from that card, it's served its purpose as I got the two Amex cards I really wanted to begin with now. It was mainly a way to get my foot in the door.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.