Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you dispute this charge?

tag
dtbecker
Established Member

Would you dispute this charge?

Hello myFico Members,

I recently booked a Delta flight and was charged $1,200 instead of $1,100. Delta Customer Support mentioned that the amount is correct, even though my receipt on Delta's website shows $1,100. They don't see that on their end so they mentioned my only option is to reach out to corporate. I also couldn't directly submit the PDF receipt to the supervisor since they can only be sent to corporate. I've submitted a complaint through their website corporate form but this can be a slow process. 

American Express has offered to easily dispute the charge, but I've held off because I am a new customer to them and just opened two credit cards. The last thing I want to do is become a "risky" customer to them. 

My second question is would you recommend paying that $1,200? Its not due for another 20 days but Delta mentioned their complaint process can take up to 60 days. Lastly, would Delta cancel my flight if I dispute it? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Would you dispute this charge?

Not sure what Delta's policies are about disputed charges, but they very well could cancel your flight. I'd read their T&C's. That said, I'd try contacting Delta via social media perhaps and see if that speeds things up. Sometimes companies are far more responsive to issues on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

As someone who has worked in service, retail, and in corporate environments, the easiest thing to do is pay it then let the process play out with the refund. Rocking the boat only makes waves. As said above, your flight could be cancelled accidentally while trying to fix it.

Message 3 of 11
dtbecker
Established Member

Thanks for the reply's, I will wait until after my flight is over before disputing (If I have to go that route). Interestingly, all the customer service representatives through messaging agree I was overcharged, but the phone reps disagree since they are unable to see my customer receipt. I have time to let the complaint process play out and will go from there. I've even emailed the CEO which was suggested by another member on a different forum so maybe that will go somewhere. 

American Express said I had 60 days to dispute and I have more than enough evidence of being overcharged because I also have screenshots of my interactions with customer service. 

Delta social media accounts now direct customers to directly messaging them, which is what I have done and the result has been unsuccessful.

Message 4 of 11
Trini88
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Not sure what Delta's policies are about disputed charges, but they very well could cancel your flight. I'd read their T&C's. That said, I'd try contacting Delta via social media perhaps and see if that speeds things up. Sometimes companies are far more responsive to issues on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram. 

I do every single one of my complaining on Facebook messenger to the companies I complain on and everything is handled very quickly.

Goal Cards:
Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Trini88 wrote:

I do every single one of my complaining on Facebook messenger to the companies I complain on and everything is handled very quickly.

Yes, I found this very true for telecomm.   You can try to explain things many many times to the (generally) pleasant phone CSRs with Verizon and T-Mobile, and they are very sorry you are having a problem and.... but it never quite gets sorted.   Then do facebook messenger and you are in touch with someone who a) actually really understands and b) will solve it.

Ideally you would hire more of those and put them on the phones as well, but economically it probably makes more sense to wear the customer down!

Message 6 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@dtbecker wrote:

Hello myFico Members,

I recently booked a Delta flight and was charged $1,200 instead of $1,100. Delta Customer Support mentioned that the amount is correct, even though my receipt on Delta's website shows $1,100. They don't see that on their end so they mentioned my only option is to reach out to corporate. I also couldn't directly submit the PDF receipt to the supervisor since they can only be sent to corporate. I've submitted a complaint through their website corporate form but this can be a slow process. 

American Express has offered to easily dispute the charge, but I've held off because I am a new customer to them and just opened two credit cards. The last thing I want to do is become a "risky" customer to them. 

My second question is would you recommend paying that $1,200? Its not due for another 20 days but Delta mentioned their complaint process can take up to 60 days. Lastly, would Delta cancel my flight if I dispute it? 

I filed my one and only dispute last month, coincidentally with Amex. It was a very easy process and it was wrapped up really fast--because the merchant didn't have a leg to stand on. But I didn't have a flight hanging in the balance.

It's nothing but a guess on my part, but I think there's a very good chance your flight would be canceled, essentially for non-payment of its ticket. Waiting until after you've taken the trip might be better timing for the dispute, although waiting could raise red flags--why the delay? why didn't you act promptly?

If I were you, I'd take to Twitter [my platform of choice for issues like this] and see what happens. Make sure you're tweeting to the correct people--many companies have multiple accounts, some are for support, some are for other things--explain what happened, upload screenshots of the documents you have, and see what they say. If nothing comes of it, you're no worse off than before.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 11
dtbecker
Established Member

That would be excellent if they allowed Facebook messenger and Twitter, but they instead changed it to use the default messaging app on iPhone/Android. Also, I've heard bad stories of people getting flights cancelled when they did a chargeback (even for partial disputes). So waiting up to 60 days is probably the best option right now. 

I am just documenting everything in the event this rises to a dispute, but hopefully not. Its crazy two customer service reps admitted I was overcharged but were unable to solve the issue. 

Also, the flight is in 15 more days. So I do have time to submit the dispute if needed.

Message 8 of 11
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@dtbecker wrote:

That would be excellent if they allowed Facebook messenger and Twitter, but they instead changed it to use the default messaging app on iPhone/Android. Also, I've heard bad stories of people getting flights cancelled when they did a chargeback (even for partial disputes). So waiting up to 60 days is probably the best option right now. 

I am just documenting everything in the event this rises to a dispute, but hopefully not. Its crazy two customer service reps admitted I was overcharged but were unable to solve the issue. 

Also, the flight is in 15 more days. So I do have time to submit the dispute if needed.

We're getting things confused here! Just because their FORMAL method of complaining uses one method, that can't stop you from POSTING to their social media accounts. Believe me, those accounts are monitored--and they're also viewed by a lot of other people, including customers. The companies want to look good--I've gotten problems solved via Twitter that had been going nowhere before I posted my complaint to their Twitter account.

As for the 15 days before the flight, a dispute can easily take 90(?) days. Amex told me that even though they've "closed" the dispute, the merchant still has until the end of July to dispute it. I think that's 90 days from when I filed it. My point being, disputes can take considerable time, and there's no guarantee it will go in your favor. I wouldn't bank on its result at all.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 9 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@dtbecker wrote:

We're getting things confused here! Just because their FORMAL method of complaining uses one method, that can't stop you from POSTING to their social media accounts. Believe me, those accounts are monitored--and they're also viewed by a lot of other people, including customers. The companies want to look good--I've gotten problems solved via Twitter that had been going nowhere before I posted my complaint to their Twitter account.

As for the 15 days before the flight, a dispute can easily take 90(?) days. Amex told me that even though they've "closed" the dispute, the merchant still has until the end of July to dispute it. I think that's 90 days from when I filed it. My point being, disputes can take considerable time, and there's no guarantee it will go in your favor. I wouldn't bank on its result at all.

Exactly! That's what I was getting at - posting on their FB wall/Twitter feed or DMing them on IG/Twitter. They can't stop you from doing that.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.