Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you hit that? (10% cash back)

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Re: Would you hit that? (10% cash back)

If I have the 10% card.. I could make $20K with it.. Simply by buying Gift card and resale them. But in reality,  there's a pretty big chance that the bank simply close my account.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 11 of 23
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@Woolfman wrote:

Um i would jump all over that one.. 10% on pharmacy?!?! thats an easy $1500.00 cash back over the  3 months without really trying if you know what your doing..  That is one heck of a sign up bonus.. I am jealous!

Hey i know what you talking about man ??? But i dont think CC company stupid enough to not know "" what you been up to with their card """" just sayin thou.....

Their 10% aint easy to get ...lol

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 23
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@severine wrote:

I just received an offer from my former bank--Citizen's--for a Cash Back Visa that has a 10% cash back for 90 days on groceries, gas and pharmacy purchases. As you can see from my sig I have 10 cards at the moment and only really use the BCP, Freedom, US Bank and Amex PRG. At any given moment I have a small balances on these and PIF at the end of the month. I just made a huge $17,000 payment to my student loans which brings that total down to $59,000 (from a high of $135,000--yes, it can be done) and paid off my BCP which had a $2800 balance, so I am hoping to see a bump in my score next month. I am giving you this background to ask you: do you think it's worth it to go for the 10% back card, even though I'd really only use it for the next three months? After the 90 day period it goes to 1%. I normally use the Freedom for gas (5% when it's that time of the year) and buy all my groceries with the BCP, although I have already exhausted $3000 or the $6000 that is yearly allowed toward the 6%. If you were me, would you sit tight in the garden or go for it? BTW I have 1 inq that will drop off this month, another that will drop off next month, and then 5 that will drop off in August. Thoughts?

If I were in your shoes, this would be my thought process:

What are my monthly expenses for groceries, gas, and pharmacy? Multiply by 3 (for 90 days promo). 

Depending on that value I would decide if it were worth an INQ and extra TL. 

My Gas is like $100 month. Groceries say $200 month. Pharmacy none. So my cash back would be $30/month or $90 during if I spent $900 spent during this period. In this case I wouldn't take the hit. But your value may be higher or lower, and it still may be worth it or not worth it to you.

Message 13 of 23
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Are there any caps?

if i am even 1/2 as bothered enough to abuse rewards as those guys on flyertalk forums, i would sign up, and spend the next 30 days in CVS buying vanilla reloads.

Even if this bank close the account after that (assuming you don't care about your relationship with them), the rewards are well worth it Smiley Very Happy

just joking lol.

i wouldn't apply if i were u.

Why not?  10% on pharmacy is probably 8% more than most other cards, 10% on groceries and gas certainly is 4/5% more, and will prevent the BCP cap being used up during those 90 days.  Most CVS won't now allow you to buy VR with credit cards, but there is plenty of other not-to-abusive stuff to buy, and the groceries and gas seem to make this an easy decision.

Not to turn this into a VR thread.. But  most cvs will let you buy them with a credit card and for me this is just a way to get rewards for things i could not otherwise pay with a credit card. (mortgage, car payments are two examples. )

Message 14 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

i don't know it's a good or bad thing that i missed out on the days where people could abuse VR.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 23
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

i don't know it's a good or bad thing that i missed out on the days where people could abuse VR.

One person's "abuse" is another's "maximizing rewards"!

Message 16 of 23
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

One person's "abuse" is another's "maximizing rewards"!

+1 ..   cashed in 250 dollars in cash back for last months purchases  today. Cvs is ok with selling them when using a Credit card and charges the fee. The credit card company makes money off the swipe and i benefit also.  Sounds like everyone makes money.. No abuse  and i just bought some yesterday .. So not sure what you mean by missed out on.. Its still going on.  

But Being back on topic.. Regardless of what you use it for .. 10% cash back would be hard to walk away from.

Message 17 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I would "hit it hit it like I can't miss"
To quote a famous rapper!

APP!!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 18 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 19 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

What does SMH mean? It's one of the only acronyms I haven't learned yet lol!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.