Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you pay the fee?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Would you pay the fee?

got notice today that the AF on my gf's oldest (non-store) card / highest limit card will be assessed next month.  it is her oldest card by almost 2 years.

we don't really use the card anymore, because the APR is ridiculous (don't start with the PIF stuff, please, we know), so it really just sits there.  there are no frills to this card, no perks or bonuses or anything.

i double-paid the final balance by mistake, & had a credit, which i thought i could use once in a while to keep the card active, but they refunded it to us after one cycle.

anyway, is it worth paying the $55 fee to keep the $15,500 line open?  her next highest line is $14,000 but that just got opened 7 months ago (navy federal).

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Would you pay the fee?

Even if she closes this account, it'll stay on her credit reports for 10 years. By then Navy Fed will catch up and become the oldest account.

Message 2 of 40
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Can you PC to another card they issue?

Message 3 of 40
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

got notice today that the AF on my gf's oldest (non-store) card / highest limit card will be assessed next month.  it is her oldest card by almost 2 years.

we don't really use the card anymore, because the APR is ridiculous (don't start with the PIF stuff, please, we know), so it really just sits there.  there are no frills to this card, no perks or bonuses or anything.

i double-paid the final balance by mistake, & had a credit, which i thought i could use once in a while to keep the card active, but they refunded it to us after one cycle.

anyway, is it worth paying the $55 fee to keep the $15,500 line open?  her next highest line is $14,000 but that just got opened 7 months ago (navy federal).

Do they have another CC you can PC to without a AF?

I sure hate to get rid of the $15K CL, even if I had to pay the $55 AF.

It's tough getting that type of CL now days with this financial crisis....may I ask what is your APR %?

Message 4 of 40
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Correct, but the CL will no longer be factored into overall Util %, and losing that trade line could be a detriment to their overall credit profile in terms of available credit.

ImageImageImage

Message 5 of 40
laz98
Senior Contributor

thank you for the fast responses!  Smiley Happy

1.  can't PC, they only offer the one card (it's not a big bank).

2.  the APR is 29.99%.

3.  the CL is about 25% of her total available credit.

Message 6 of 40
smc733
Valued Contributor

Close it, for people whose credit is in good standing, paying an AF for age is asinine unless you benefit from getting in the 830s club.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 7 of 40
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Close it even though it makes up 25% of her available credit? That seems kind of drastic, no?

ImageImageImage

Message 8 of 40
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@smc733 wrote:

Close it, for people whose credit is in good standing, paying an AF for age is asinine unless you benefit from getting in the 830s club.

Calling someone foolish for such a decision is not exactly the nicest way to express your opinion is it? We might not agree with what someone else does but we need to try and be respectful in our response.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 40
smc733
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Calling someone foolish for such a decision is not exactly the nicest way to express your opinion is it? We might not agree with what someone else does but we need to try and be respectful in our response.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically...

I see it all the time though, I just generally disagree with people who recommend keeping a $59AF Orchard card open for age, for example.  Just some people have recommended things based on FICO, not necessarily the best fiscal advice.

In this case, unless util is high, I still vote to dump it.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.