Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, Barclays.

tag
logan_720
Established Contributor

Wow, Barclays.

So I started in January of 2012 with an Apple financing card. I spent a boat load on it, mainly car rental charges. My credit limit at the time od the card being issued, was the highest limit I had; $1,700. My 6 month mark hit back in August, and I never received a CLI, which pissed me off mainly because I had put so much through the card. I requested a CLI three days ago, asking for an extra $1,300, making the total limit $3,000. After submitting the request, it came back about 10 seconds later saying it was denied, which pissed me off, so say the least. 

I got a call yesterday from an unknown number (Which I don't answer). The voicemail from from a guy in one of their offices, and I just deleted it since there was no point in listening. So just now I logged in to pay off my account and got the infamous:

"This account is closed" bubble at the top of the page." 

Sure, I'm frustrated. But they obviously need realize that people apply for new credit, and may have a few inquiries before simply closing their account. 

Will be calling them tomorrow.

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Wow, Barclays.

What was your balance at the time of the CLI request and also have you app'd alot in the 6 months following approval 

Message 2 of 50
logan_720
Established Contributor

I haven't apped a lot. I apped just enough to get the cards I wanted. Which apparently they just could handle. Maybe they felt out of place in my wallet considering they are my highest APR next to my Amazon GE account.

Message 3 of 50
JonStur
Established Contributor

Yep, another Barclays horror story... So for the usual suspects that chime in on a Barclay thread claiming  they've done whatever and Barclays didn't do anything to them, consider yourself lucky...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 4 of 50
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

What was the reason they cited for closing your account? Did it say? I didn't think they could do that!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 5 of 50
logan_720
Established Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

Yep, another Barclays horror story... So for the usual suspects that chime in on a Barclay thread claiming  they've done whatever and Barclays didn't do anything to them, consider yourself lucky...

I do consider myself lucky. I was done using the card because of the interest rate, but it was definitely helping my utilization. Thats why I'm going to call Monday, since they're closed Sunday. And I'll be traveling, so they'll get a very happy attitude from me. Smiley Happy

And there was no reason for them closing it. I just logged in and it said it was closed. Oh well. Their lost in interest revenue!

Message 6 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Sorry to hear Smiley Sad

Anything out of the ordinary on CR's?? High util??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 50
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I was actually expecting a wow they granted your cli request.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 8 of 50
lithium78
Established Contributor

Wow.  I'm glad I don't do business with Barclays.  They seem to be a Nervous Nelly of a credit card company.  They need to switch to decaf.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 50
YahComb
Established Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

I haven't apped a lot. I apped just enough to get the cards I wanted. Which apparently they just could handle. Maybe they felt out of place in my wallet considering they are my highest APR next to my Amazon GE account.

well how many cards did you want? if it was one or two, then maybe theyre jumping the gun. but if we're talking about 4 or 5 then its not very surprising...anyone whos been on this board for more than a minute should know theyre not fond of people opening up tons of accounts within months after they give you a card.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.